8 Ye Cheng Fu

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Ye Cheng Fu


 Chapter 8: 

 


Bored at night, Shen Ye and I began to share stories with each other.


He told me about his childhood, and I started to recount my story about Su Rongqing.


In fact, I had known Su Rongqing for a long time, since I was ten years old.


That year, my youngest sister died unexpectedly. My mother and I were hunting in the outskirts when we received the news of my sister’s death. My mother hurried back and left me with a nearby servant. However, as soon as she left, assassins attacked. The servant swapped me with his own child, and I escaped from the crowd, becoming lost in the wilderness.


I couldn’t tell east from west, and I stumbled along, running aimlessly. When the moon was high in the sky, I finally stopped. Looking around, I found myself in a bamboo grove, with the shadows of the bamboo swaying and the night breeze rustling.


I was parched and hungry, scared and anxious. Seeing a small bamboo house with a faint light in the distance, I hurriedly ran inside. The bamboo house was empty except for a screen, and there was a flickering light behind it that provided a bit of warmth. I took a step forward and heard a young voice coldly say, “Stop.”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

“I am being pursued by villains, and my servants have all met with misfortune. I wish to stay here for the night, and I hope you will allow me.”


Though I was only ten, I knew many manners and spoke in a way I had learned from adults, though my whole body trembled. The young voice from behind the screen did not respond immediately. After a while, it said slowly, “You may stay outside the screen.”


“Thank you, sir.”


Since he did not drive me away, I sat outside the screen. The screen was simple, decorated with a landscape painting of a desert with a blood-red sunset, strewn with corpses, war horses, and generals' bones. The artist's skill was not exceptional, but you could sense the artist's ambition and fiery spirit through the painting. As I sat in front of the screen, watching the thin figure of the boy behind it, and feeling the warmth brought by the flickering firelight, my wildly beating heart gradually calmed down.


The room had a faint smell of blood, but I couldn’t tell if it was from myself or from the other person. He didn’t ask me any questions, so I didn’t ask him anything either. We both just sat quietly, waiting for dawn to break.


In the middle of the night, a light drizzle began to fall. I heard a whimper and realized that there was another person in the room besides the boy. The whimperer seemed to be a child and appeared to be injured. After some thought, I took out a jar of ointment from my sleeve, placed it by the screen, and said respectfully, “This is high-quality ointment for external injuries. If your companion is wounded, please consider using it.”


He didn’t speak, but after a moment, he reached out and took the jar.


Those were hands of pure white, delicate and well-defined, as if sculpted by the heavens themselves. The perfection of the bones and skin reminded me of the Buddha's hand in a temple.


For a moment, I was mesmerized, my mind drifting to tales of mythical creatures from storybooks. I felt as if the person in front of me had stepped out of those tales, perhaps possessing stunning beauty and supreme powers.


"Thank you," he said after a while, his voice hoarse. 


I quickly responded, feeling the urge to make conversation, and asked, "Are you also in trouble?"


He did not reply. Instead, I continued with my story: "I am, too."


"You mentioned it before."


"Perhaps it's because of fear," I said, listening to the patter of the rain and the howling wind outside. "I’ve always been timid, always feeling that I won’t live long."


"But you survived, didn't you?" he replied with a soft laugh. "If you can come through the pile of corpses, you’re already among the luckiest. Fate itself couldn’t kill you; what else is there to fear?"


"Fear that if it doesn’t succeed once, Heaven will try again," I said, looking at his silhouette behind the screen. Hesitant, I leaned against his back, facing away from him.


He trembled slightly but did not move, talking with me through the screen, our backs to each other, engaging in a casual conversation.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

I spoke of my deceased older sister, my second sister, and my own situation of being hunted.


He talked about a pit full of corpses, where people were slowly burying them with dirt.


"Those who cannot wake up, even if they are still alive, are considered dead," he said.


"Doesn't this count as murder?" I asked, shocked.


He laughed softly and replied, "What of murder?"


"But human lives are paramount..."


"Not everyone's life is of great importance," he interrupted gently, "Some lives are inherently insignificant, like mine."


I was momentarily speechless, and it was a long while before I finally spoke, my voice hoarse: "No life is inherently insignificant. Everyone is nurtured by their parents' blood and essence from the moment of birth, and thus holds a lot of value. Some people try to demean these lives and then tell others that their lives are inherently insignificant. But whether it’s the royal family or commoners, or even the lowest of the low, every life is precious. Sir—" I wasn't sure if he was listening or if these words were meant for him or for myself. "There will always be those willing to sacrifice their lives for us, so we must fight to live, live well, and live beautifully. Because nothing is more important than our own lives."


He did not respond, and his silence made me almost think he had fallen asleep. My own words helped me become resolute; I knew I had to live for my mother, for my father, and live well.


The rain outside grew heavier, and the bamboo swayed in the storm. He suddenly spoke, “My mother has always wanted me dead. From the moment I was born… even from the moment she conceived me.” 


“Why?”


“My mother was a woman of reputation, while my father was of the lower class. My father said she once loved him, but from the moment she became pregnant with me, that love was replaced by fear. When she was diagnosed with pregnancy, I was already five months along. She had no choice but to give birth to me. The moment I came out of her, it was as if I expelled her feelings for my father from her body. From the moment I was born, she planned to kill me. But my father stopped her. Taking advantage of her weakness after childbirth, he took me away with him, and from then on, we lived as fugitives.”


“Have you seen your mother?”


He didn’t respond right away. After a long pause, he finally said, “Yes, when she killed my father.”


“I was hiding in a secret chamber, not daring to make a sound, watching as she killed my father with her own hands. I was so frightened that I even stopped breathing, staying hidden in that chamber until my father’s guards came and carried me out.”


“Your father died for you,” I reminded him. “So, don’t you think your life is precious?”


“No one has ever said that to me before,” he said softly, laughing. “They always tell me I was born a bastard.”


“Do you still think so?” I smiled. “If you think you are a bastard, it’s not that your life isn’t valuable, but rather that your father’s life wasn’t valuable enough.”


“You… are quite the talker.”


“Thank you,” I nodded. “I have few talents in life, but I suppose I’ve managed to get by with my words.”


“Having any talent is a blessing,” he said.


“I think so too,” I replied. Remembering that we might need to travel again the next day, I continued, “Could you lend me a few silver coins?”


“Why?” His voice was cold and devoid of emotion, making me feel uneasy. It seemed inappropriate to ask for money on our first meeting.


But in these uncertain times, who knew if he’d be around tomorrow or if my servants would find me? If my servants couldn’t find me and he was gone, I’d be left with nothing and might starve.


Reluctantly, I explained, “I don’t have any silver on me. The medicine I gave you can be considered my collateral.”


“Why?”


“What?”


“You’re essentially trying to force me to lend you money. Why should I?”


“Well, given that I’m good with words, isn’t it reasonable to borrow three silver coins?”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

“The world is vast and we’ve only just met. We might never see each other again after today. Lending you three silver coins, even if it’s only a small amount, is not something I am obligated to do,” he said, his reasoning sounding quite reasonable. I found myself at a loss for words.


I don’t remember when I fell asleep, but when I woke up the next morning, the sun was already high in the sky. I heard people calling my name loudly and slowly opened my eyes.


The storm had passed, and the room still carried the warmth of the remaining embers and a faint smell of blood. I turned around the screen and saw the burnt-out firewood, my medicine bottle, and three silver coins. The bottle was pressed under a small note written in elegant script: “Green mountains and clear waters, farewell.”


The voices of the guards grew louder. I stared at the note for a long time, not daring to speak.


That day, I was taken back and attended my sister's funeral. Soon after, I also attended the little princess's funeral. At the funeral, I exchanged glances with the grand princess. Though we were of similar age, she seemed far more somber than I was, and her eyes held a complex emotion that I couldn't understand. After a long while, she finally said, “Now, only the two of us remain from our families.”


I nodded. I didn’t quite understand what she meant, but not wanting to appear ignorant, I pretended to understand and remained silent.


Soon after, I was officially recognized as the head of the Shu family, and the grand princess was formally declared the crown princess. Both of our families increased their guard forces to ensure our safety as we grew up securely.


On the day I officially became the head of the family, my mother asked me if I had any wishes. After thinking for a moment, I asked her to buy that bamboo grove for me.


My mother purchased the grove, and I had it enclosed to prevent anyone from entering. Before it was enclosed, I took a chance and went to the bamboo house to leave a note and my jade pendant. I told the young man that if he took the pendant, the bamboo grove would belong to him.


I never expected him to return, but when I went back, I found that both the jade pendant and the note were gone, and in their place was a new letter, simply stating “Good.”


Since then, I kept up a correspondence with him through letters. I would leave my letters in the bamboo grove and go back to retrieve his replies.


I never asked who the messenger was or what they looked like; instead, I would imagine his appearance in my mind. The fact that I had never met him and didn’t know his identity made me feel even safer. I often hinted at my thoughts and experiences in my letters, and he, being incredibly perceptive, always provided fitting responses. Sometimes, I would draw strength from these letters, feeling as if I had a living Zhuge Liang, silently supporting me in every situation.


But I was too late in maturing. For many years, I never gave much thought to anything else until the Empress urged me to marry. I began to search for a marriage partner out of desperation and only then did I start to consider that if I could marry someone, it seemed he would be the only person I would never regret choosing. 


Shen Ye, while listening to me talk about Su Rongqing, remained silent, quietly observing me through the night. I couldn’t see his expression clearly, but he eventually asked, “Then why are you still going through the matchmaking process? Why not propose directly?”


“Because I didn't need to propose to him,” I couldn’t help but smile wryly. “Later, I found out that the person I was supposed to marry was Su Rongqing.”


“I see…” Shen Ye's tone conveyed a sense of understanding. “So when did you realize your intended partner was Su Rongqing? And why did you still come to meet Yan Zhuang?”


“I knew he was Su Rongqing even before the matchmaking, but I decided to continue with it because… he had already decided to refuse the marriage.”


“He doesn’t like you?” Shen Ye sounded surprised, then abruptly said, “That’s impossible. A man who doesn’t like a woman wouldn’t correspond with her for so long. Of course—” he added with a hint of lewdness in his voice, “a man who enjoys fishing might do that.”


“He would never do something as crude as fishing!”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

“Are you really that naïve or just pretending?” Shen Ye's eyes were full of disdain. “Someone who’s fixated on catching a single fish is usually the one doing the fishing. But some men, who aren’t satisfied with just one fish, want to catch others as well. They cast a wide net, you see?”


“My mother was right after all…” I sighed, hearing his words. “You men are indeed complex.”


“This isn’t about being complex! Only men truly understand other men. How could women ever grasp a man’s tricks?”


“You’re just jealous…” I couldn’t help but laugh. Shen Ye snorted in response. “I’m not jealous. Do you really think I’m interested in you?”


“Isn’t that the case?” I was momentarily at a loss, feeling a twinge of discomfort. Shen Ye gave me a look that said “You’re so naïve,” and said slowly, “If it weren’t for your status as the daughter of the Shu family, would I even bother?”


“You’re clearly after my money!”


“Exactly,” he said shamelessly. “I’m just a brothel owner. What high ideals can you expect from me? Think about it—I can’t run this business forever. I need to get married eventually, and who I marry is just a matter of choice. If I can marry you, why would I want anyone else? Marrying you means a bright future. I’d have all the clothes I want, all the money I want, and most importantly, that little bitch from Xunfang House wouldn’t dare mock me for not being able to marry into a good family anymore!”


“You won’t get your wish,” I sneered this time. “I wasn’t planning to marry you anyway. Now you have even less of a chance.”


“But didn’t you say we can’t go back?” He rolled his eyes. “We’re about to die anyway. Why should I care what you think? I feel like you’re upset,” he seemed to realize something, “Don’t tell me you have a little bit of feelings for me?”


“Get lost!” I shouted, hitting a sore spot. True, I didn’t actually like Shen Ye—I was sure of that. But I had to admit, I had been moved by him. After all, he was handsome, and he had been attentive to me throughout our journey. I had developed some feelings for him, considering him a companion through thick and thin. And with him constantly expressing his affection and putting me first, it was inevitable that I’d start believing him. So, when he suddenly said this, of course I would be angry.


Hearing me tell him to get lost, Shen Ye burst into laughter, then started poking my face with his finger. Annoyed, I swatted his hand away, but he poked me again, and I swatted him away once more.


“Really angry now?” he asked with a smile. “So petty? Or did I hit a nerve?”


“Get away!” I shouted.


As I swung my hand at him, he suddenly grabbed it, gazing at me with a gentle and serious expression. “So, Shu Cheng, just how much do you like Su Rongqing?”


I was silent for a long time, long enough that it felt almost eternal to me.


In my daze, I saw Su Rongqing’s shadow, his indistinct features, and his outline under the moonlight, gradually filling my heart. I slowly spoke, “I’ve always thought my life was very valuable, but I’ve wondered if I’d be willing to die for him if he asked.”


Shen Ye was silent, and I continued, almost unable to believe it myself, “I’ve imagined many scenarios, and I found that, actually, I would be willing. I’d be willing to die for this man. I want him to be happy, joyful, and healthy for his whole life. If not for my family, I would give him everything. You tell me, is this love or just settling?”


Shen Ye didn’t say anything. After a long silence, seemingly driven by some impulse, he suddenly spun around and cornered me against the wall.


Having grown accustomed to the dim light of the night, I could vaguely make out his features. His eyes, bright as stars, were filled with teasing as he leaned in close. His scent filled my nostrils, and his warmth enveloped me. My hand was firmly held by him, unable to move. I struggled desperately, but he drew closer, his cheek almost touching mine. If he moved just a little bit more, our faces would be pressed together, and I could even feel his breath mingling with mine.


My heart raced inexplicably as he gazed at me calmly, his voice low and husky. “Shu Cheng, has anyone ever told you that, unless a woman has practiced martial arts from a young age and developed inner strength, you naturally don’t have the same physical strength as a man?”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates