Chapter 32 Scarlet Heart

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Scarlet Heart 


 Chapter 32: 

ancient (Mongolian camp) by artist "anime", Anime Key Visual, Japanese Manga, Pixiv, Zerochan, Anime art, Fantia Masterp... 

I quickly stood up, took a few steps, and positioned myself at the doorway, parting the curtain to see. My heart relaxed when I saw it was Baozhu, a servant from Eighth Prince's side. He greeted me respectfully, "The prince sent me to deliver medicine to Miss." I reached out to take it from him. He continued, "Apply it twice a day, after washing with warm water. After a few days, the bruising should fade." I nodded without knowing how to feel.


As he turned to leave, I stopped him and asked him to wait for a moment. After speaking, I entered the tent. Fourteen was already sitting up, so I leaned in and whispered, "Can we trust this person?" Fourteen nodded, "He's trustworthy. Otherwise, would Eighth Brother send him to deliver medicine to you? Although it's not a big deal, Eighth Brother has always cared about you." He winked at me after speaking.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Even now, he still had the leisure to tease me. I glared at him, then turned to leave, but he grabbed my arm, signaling me to lower my head. I leaned in, and he whispered, "Even though he's trustworthy, I came here against the decree. It's better if fewer people know about it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have come to find you!" I nodded. It felt reassuring. Despite our arguments, Fourteen still trusted me.


Baozhu saw me come out and quickly bowed obediently. After a moment of thought, I asked, "What does the prince usually do in the evening?" 


He replied with a smile, "It's hard to say. Sometimes he reads, sometimes he plays chess by himself." 


I said, "You can go back now." 


He seemed puzzled, unsure why I asked such a random question without further explanation. Nonetheless, he hurried off.


When I returned, I smiled at Fourteen and asked, "It's still a while until it gets dark. Do you want to sleep a bit longer?" He shook his head and said, "No, I'll stay awake." As he glanced at the snacks on the table, he grabbed one and started eating. Meanwhile, I said, "I should apply the medicine." So I got up, washed my hands, and applied the ointment for him.


Occasionally, I instructed a young eunuch to prepare double portions of food for me. I used to dine with other court ladies frequently, and now, with my current status, they wouldn't dare to inquire about my affairs casually. They simply smiled and agreed.


After they finished their meal, and the sky darkened, we went to the agreed meeting place. Seeing no one around, I signaled to Fourteen that he could leave. He left the tent leisurely.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

I waited for a while before heading towards Eighth Prince's tent. When I arrived, I saw Li Fu guarding outside, and the surroundings were quiet. I walked over confidently. Li Fu bowed and helped me lift the curtain. I nodded and entered the tent.


Eighth Prince was writing at the table. When he saw me come in, he nodded with a smile and gestured for me to sit down. He continued writing for a while before setting down his pen.


I stood up immediately, and he walked over to me, glancing at my hands and smiling as he asked, "Are you on duty tomorrow?" 


Without answering him directly, I whispered, "Is it convenient to talk here?" His expression turned serious as he replied, "Knowing you would come tonight, there's someone guarding outside." 


I nodded, but still leaned in to whisper in his ear, "Fourteen Prince is here!"


He listened with a grave expression. Lowering his voice, he asked, "Did he say why he came?" I shook my head and quietly told him about the meeting place. After a moment of thought, he said, "You go back first. I'll go see him myself."


I nodded and turned to leave. At the doorway, I turned back and said, "Be very careful!" 


He smiled and replied, "Don't worry. Go back in peace!" With that, I turned again and hurried out of the tent.


Back in my own tent, my mind raced even though my body stayed still. Just then, a respectful voice outside the tent said, "Your Highness, this is Lady Ruoxi's tent." I parted the curtain and saw it was Princess Minmin. Her attendant greeted me and then withdrew. She motioned for me to rise, then she asked, "May I come in to see you?" 


I smiled and replied, "Of course, Princess Minmin. I was just a little startled earlier, but I'm fine now." She looked down thoughtfully for a moment, then asked, "Would you like to go for a walk?" 


Feeling restless inside the tent, I thought it might be better to pass the time outside with her. Besides, it seemed she had something on her mind. So, I smiled and nodded in agreement.


The two of us walked slowly. She looked at me and smiled, saying, "I just found out that you're quite favored by the Emperor!" 


I chuckled and replied, "Favored or not, I'm just serving the Emperor with all my heart!"

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

She seemed to want to speak several times but then turned her head. I walked quietly beside her, waiting for her to ask. As we walked out of the camp, the number of people gradually decreased. After some contemplation, she asked, "Why didn't Thirteenth Prince come this time?" 


I thought for a moment. It was indeed because of Thirteen. I replied, "Whether he comes or not depends on the Emperor's decision, not Thirteen's." She didn't say anything in response, just walked on silently.


After a while, she asked again, "Is Prince Thirteen's consort beautiful?" 


I sighed inwardly. Prince Thirteen's love song had sown seeds of longing in this rough wilderness. Looking at her, I said, "In my opinion, no one is as beautiful as you, Princess Minmin!" 


She looked pleased and asked, "Really?" 


I nodded earnestly. They were just delicate flowers wrapped in the rules of the Forbidden City, while Princess Minmin was like a wildflower in this vast wilderness, free and vibrant.


Princess Minmin stared at me nervously and asked, "Don't you think I'm rough and uncouth, lacking in manners? Just look at you, and you'll see! Your speech is measured, your demeanor refined and graceful."


I felt a bit foolish, wondering when I had transformed from a "wild girl" to a "lady." Could it be that my four years in the palace had refined me?


Thinking about it, I couldn't help but burst into laughter, my clear laughter echoing across the rough wilderness. I asked, "Am I refined and graceful? I honestly don't know! But I can assure you, you are definitely a beauty!"


Princess Minmin couldn't help but laugh along with me, saying, "The noble ladies I've met always smile gracefully and gently. I never expected you to laugh so heartily!"


Both of us walked with smiles on our faces. How long had it been since I heard a girl laugh so freely? How long had it been since I laughed like this? Women in the Forbidden City had to restrain even their speech! My fondness for Princess Minmin grew even more. If she wanted to catch Thirteenth Prince's eye, she must have good taste. The more I thought about it, the more I liked her.


After pondering for a while, I felt her personality wouldn't mind being straightforward. So, I asked directly, "Do you fancy Thirteenth Prince?" 


Princess Minmin's smile froze on her face for a moment. After a while, she asked, "Is it that obvious?" 


I replied with a smile, "Pretty obvious!"


She fell silent for a moment, then suddenly burst into a radiant smile, outshining even the stars in the sky above the rough wilderness. She gazed into the distance and said, "Indeed! He has a place in my heart!" She glanced at me, and I returned her a smile of approval and encouragement.


She turned back, gazing into the vast night, her face carrying a sweet and melancholic smile. Slowly, she said, "I've never heard such a beautiful voice before. He stood there watching me sing, and my heart had never beat so fast. I've never seen a man smile like that, as if laughing yet not, as if indifferent yet burning like a flame. You can feel his warmth!" After she finished speaking, it seemed like her mind was still immersed in that night that made her lose herself. After a while, she suddenly turned to me, passionately saying, "I've never seen a man like him before!"


Love! I know it, I understand it! But I was once again moved by it! Whatever lies ahead, now she is in love, happy yet troubled because of her love. I just smiled at her, sharing her feelings. Only those who have loved before know that sweet and sour feeling. Seeing my smile, she suddenly felt a bit embarrassed and turned her head away.


I looked at her and said, "Thirteen is a person worthy of affection!" She turned to me, her smile as bright as the morning glow. There was pride and satisfaction on her face. 


But as she continued to smile, her expression gradually dimmed, and I felt a pang in my heart as I watched her smile slowly fade away. She said, "But Father doesn't want me to marry him!" 


I quickly asked, "Why?"

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

She frowned and said, "Don't tell anyone!" I quickly nodded, and she continued, "Father said that few women in the Forbidden City are truly happy! He said I am a flower of the grasslands, meant to bloom only on the grasslands!" 


My heart gradually sank as well. Her father truly cared for her, and what he said was not wrong. She was forever a princess on the grasslands, but if she went to the Forbidden City, she would only be one of Thirteen's few concubines. And I still didn't know what Thirteen's intentions were. Who could guarantee that he would cherish her? And thinking about Thirteen's future fate of being imprisoned made it even more disheartening.


Seeing my dim expression, she smiled sadly and said, "I used to refuse to believe Father's words, but now it seems that everything he said was true." I reached out to hold her hand, but both of our hands were icy cold, unable to warm each other.


We walked silently, hand in hand. She asked, "Do you have someone you love?" 


My heart ached, unsure of how to answer. As I hesitated, suddenly I heard a commotion, and in the dark night, numerous torches were moving. My heart raced; wasn't that the place where they were supposed to meet? I began to run towards the crowd! 


Minmin didn't understand what was happening but followed me, asking, "What's wrong?" My heart clenched, too preoccupied to respond, just exerting all my strength to run.


As we approached, the noise grew louder, but it was impossible to distinguish what they were saying. I grabbed someone and asked, "What's going on?" Seeing me and Minmin, they tried to bow, but I hurriedly said, "No need for formalities, quickly tell me what happened!" 


They explained, "The Crown Prince said there's a thief, and people are searching everywhere." 


My heart sank, and I asked, "Where's the thief? What do they look like?" 


They replied, "It's too dark to see clearly, but they were wearing Mongolian robes. The Crown Prince ordered arrows to be shot, but it's uncertain if they hit anyone. They were last seen heading that way!"


The moment I heard about the arrows being shot, my heart sank, and everything seemed to go dark before my eyes. I took a couple of steps back to steady myself, knowing that now wasn't the time to falter. Taking a deep breath, I resumed running. Minmin followed closely behind, commenting, "How could there be a thief so bold? He seems quite adept at hiding, knowing that this is our Mongolian camp. It would indeed take some effort to find him."


As I ran, thoughts raced through my mind. Would anyone get injured by the arrows? Where was Eighth Prince? Despite the chaos, I pressed on, weaving through the crowd. Although there were torches, the darkness still made it difficult to see, and nobody seemed to notice us.


This was the Mongolian camp, a place unfamiliar to me. I turned to Minmin and asked, "Where could someone hide around here?" Minmin, sensing my unease, didn't press for details but simply held my hand as we wandered among the tents.


We searched everywhere, but found nothing. The Prince's men had finished negotiating with the Mongolians, and now the Mongolians were gathering to begin their search.


My heart raced faster and faster as panic gripped me, but I had no clear idea what to do. All I could do was keep running, keep searching. Minmin noticed my anxious expression and quickened her pace, leading me around in frantic search.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Just as my anxiety reached its peak, someone suddenly pulled me into a tent. At first, I was startled, but then a wave of relief washed over me when I realized it was Fourteenth Prince. I whispered, "Fourteenth Brother!" 


He responded quietly, and I felt a sense of calm wash over me. I asked urgently, "Are you injured?" 


In the darkness, I felt his hand tremble as he held mine, then he replied in a low voice, "I'm not." Just as I began to relax, he added, "But Eighth Brother took an arrow for me." I gasped in shock, then quickly covered my mouth. I could feel my hands trembling uncontrollably, and he squeezed my hand tightly, saying, "Ruoxi! It's just a wound on the arm, nothing life-threatening."


Although Fourteenth Prince held my hand tightly, mine continued to shake. I gripped his hand tightly, feeling the bruising on his arm, but I was numb to the pain. I screamed at myself in my mind to stay calm, to focus on Fourteenth! His safety was paramount. Despite my internal turmoil, I heard Minmin calling softly outside the tent, "Ruoxi, Ruoxi."


I whispered to Fourteenth, "Have you seen Princess Minmin?" 


He replied, "No." With determination, I lifted the curtain and saw Minmin looking around, presumably searching for me after realizing I had suddenly disappeared.


I whispered, "Minmin, she'll definitely help us." As Minmin entered the tent swiftly, I felt Fourteenth's hand tighten. I whispered, "She'll definitely help us."


My mind was already racing with calculations. I immediately fell to my knees before her, bowing repeatedly, and pleaded, "I beg Your Highness to save this servant's life!" 


Minmin was startled and quickly bent down, pulling me up as she asked, "What's going on? Tell me first, and if I can help, I will definitely help."


Fourteenth Prince was also surprised and came over to pull me up. I pushed him back suddenly and whispered fiercely, "I told you not to follow, but you insisted, and now, look, the Crown Prince has mistaken you for a thief! How can we explain this clearly? If we explain, our relationship will surely be discovered, and palace maids are not allowed to have secret affairs or meet outsiders secretly! We would both face death. If we don't explain, you will surely die! Then how can I... how can I... live alone?" Tears streamed down my face as I spoke, torn between anxiety and grief, worried about Eighth Prince.


Minmin exclaimed, "Is he your lover?" 


I quickly nodded and replied, "Yes! We usually cannot meet in the palace. He thought that coming to the frontier would give us a chance to meet, but unexpectedly, he was mistaken for a thief by the Crown Prince." Minmin chuckled softly upon hearing this.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

As she helped me up, she said with a smile, "He risked everything to come see you, showing his sincerity. You can't blame him! Don't worry, I'll take care of this matter and ensure his safety!"


As I stood up, I felt guilty. I thought, Minmin, I'm sorry! I had to use you in this urgent situation, but I'll find a way to repay you in the future. Women in love always have soft hearts, especially towards their beloved. Because they have their own love, they always hope that "all lovers in the world will become spouses"!


Fourteenth Prince had clearly understood my intentions long ago and pretended to be a noble young gentleman from the capital city. Minmin led us along, asking Fourteenth various questions with great interest: Was he afraid? Had he suffered? When were we planning to get married? Fourteenth amused Minmin with his answers, portraying himself as deeply in love with me. Minmin was full of admiration and moved by his words. Along the way, the soldiers we encountered all bowed respectfully to Minmin. Who would suspect this Mongolian man walking boldly beside their esteemed princess?


I reached a fork in the road and turned to Minmin, saying, "I won't accompany you any further to avoid attracting attention." Minmin smiled and replied, "Go back with peace of mind! Nothing will happen." Fourteenth and I exchanged a complex look, and then I hurriedly left.


Although there was chaos outside, our camp was quiet. It seemed that although the Crown Prince harbored suspicions, he wouldn't dare to disturb Kangxi without concrete evidence. Fourteenth decided to stay behind for now, but I was anxious to see Eighth Prince. However, I had to maintain a calm demeanor and walk at a steady pace to avoid drawing attention.


The road felt unusually long. My face was almost unable to keep up, yet I hadn't reached my destination!


When I finally reached Eighth Prince's tent, everything seemed normal. Baozhu and Shunshui were guarding the entrance, their expressions calm and unreadable. After standing there for a moment, I took a deep breath, smiled, and approached. However, they blocked my path, bowing respectfully and saying, "The prince is washing up and cannot see visitors."


I smiled faintly, intending to ask them to call Li Fu out to talk, but before I could, Li Fu emerged and said, "Please come in, miss!" Baozhu and Shunshui exchanged puzzled glances before stepping aside to let me through.


I entered but didn't see Eighth Prince immediately. I guessed he must be lying on the soft couch behind the screen. I took a few steps forward but then hesitated, unsure if I should proceed.


Eighth Prince said, "Come in!" Only then did I move behind the screen. Sure enough, he was lying on the couch, his upper body uncovered except for a thin blanket draped over him, likely because of my arrival. His arms, however, were still bare.


I had seen men's bodies before, during my school days when boys often went shirtless in hot weather. And of course, on TV or at the beach, it was even more common. But since coming to ancient times, I had never seen such a sight, especially not from him. My face felt hot all of a sudden, so I quickly averted my gaze. But my concern for his injury brought my eyes back to him, making my face burn even more.


He chuckled softly and said, "Come closer." I didn't move, just stared at the crimson patch on his left arm. My heart ached, and my eyes began to sting with tears. Li Fu approached and knelt by the couch, saying, "Sir, it's time to apply the medicine." Eighth Prince didn't look at him, only scrutinized me carefully, nodding casually.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Li Fu removed the bandage and dabbed at the wound with a cotton cloth, sprinkling medicine powder on it. I couldn't help but step closer to take a closer look. Fortunately, the wound wasn't deep, but the blood continued to flow, and the medicine powder seemed to have no effect. I furrowed my brows and asked, "What kind of useless medicine is this? Why isn't it working at all?"


Li Fu replied as he continued his work, "This is already the best wound medicine! Ninth Prince spent a fortune to buy it from Yunnan, and he specifically brought it as a backup this time." 


Eighth Prince chuckled and said, "Even the best medicine takes time to take effect!" 


I frowned, thinking about the backward medical practices! If I had known I would return to ancient times, I should have studied medicine. Now, I could only watch helplessly. My mind was in turmoil, and suddenly I was startled. Specifically brought as a backup!? What other preparations had he made? My heart mourned for the throne! Matters of life and death were of no consequence to him!


Just then, Eighth Prince asked, "Have you seen Fourteenth Brother?" I watched as Li Fu began to bandage the wound, struggling to hold Eighth Prince's arm with one hand while using the other to wrap the cloth. I hurried forward to assist him, holding Eighth Prince's arm steady. As I did so, I absentmindedly replied, "Yes."


His arm trembled slightly, and my palm against his skin felt like it was burning. I realized I was blushing furiously, feeling as if I were holding a ball of fire. Li Fu had already let go of Eighth Prince's arm and was focused on bandaging, so I couldn't let go now. My hand felt increasingly hot, and my face burned even more, fearing that my neck might turn red as well. I kept my head down, afraid to move a muscle.


Eighth Prince remained silently lying there, not moving a muscle. Li Fu, on the other hand, seemed unaffected, his movements deft and efficient as he quickly finished bandaging the wound, tidied up, and quietly bowed before hurrying out.


I withdrew my hand quickly. Eighth Prince's arm fell suddenly, and he let out a soft grunt. I sighed inwardly, chastising myself for behaving so strangely, like a young girl experiencing her first crush. Hastily, I asked, "Does it hurt?"


He smiled but didn't answer. Shifting his body slightly, he attempted to sit up, and I hurriedly fetched a cushion to support him. As he moved, the thin blanket slid down his body, and I happened to be bending down to adjust the cushion for him. When I straightened up, I was met with a sight that made my face flush red instantly! I turned away abruptly, feeling embarrassed. I should have pretended not to have seen anything, maintained a casual demeanor. How could I react like this? It only made matters worse!


Muttering, "Since you're fine, I'll take my leave now. Fourteenth Brother, you need not worry; he's taken care of." I began to walk away, but he suddenly grabbed my hand. I tried to pull away, but he whispered softly, "If you keep struggling, I'll need to redo the bandage on my wound."

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates