Chapter 30 Scarlet Heart

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Scarlet Heart 


 Chapter 30: 

(Qing dynasty) by artist "anime", Anime Key Visual, Japanese Manga, Pixiv, Zerochan, Anime art, Fantia Masterpiece, Best... 

Hearing this, I steadied myself and tightened my grip on the horse's mane. He kept calling my name, "Ruoxi, Ruoxi..." over and over, his voice heavy and strong, reminding me that he was right there with me. My terror and fear began to subside with each "Ruoxi," knowing that he wouldn't let anything happen to me. As hope blossomed in my heart, strength seemed to return to my hands.


He used the riding crop to hook onto my horse's reins, then slowly began to pull on them while speaking to me, "Ruoxi, release one hand first and hold onto the horse's neck." Sensing the horse's pace slowing down and its wildness diminishing, I slowly released my left hand and reached out to grasp the horse's neck. He continued, "Now the other hand."


Once both of my hands were holding onto the horse's neck, he gradually tightened the reins, and the horse slowly came to a stop. Before I could even open my eyes, I felt a pair of arms lifting me down from the horse. My limbs felt weak, unable to stand, so I leaned on him for support.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

At that moment, Minmin rode up on her horse. Before the horse even stopped, she jumped down and anxiously asked, "Are you okay?" 


I quickly reassured her, "I'm fine." 


She patted her chest, saying, "You scared me! Why did you let go of the reins?"


Feeling a bit of strength returning to my body, I stood up straight. He released his hold on my hand and took a step back, standing behind me. Was that warm and comforting feeling gone just like that? I felt lost and bewildered.


Seeing my strange expression, Minmin asked with concern, "Are you feeling unwell?" 


I shook my head quickly. She smiled at Eighth Prince and said, "I haven't greeted you yet!" 


Eighth Prince gave a faint smile and replied, "No need!" 


Princess Minmin smiled back, not really offering her greetings. 


She just chuckled and said, "Thanks to Eighth Prince, otherwise I might have caused trouble!" Then she looked at me and said, "I guess you won't be able to learn today. Let me take you back!"


I looked around and realized that the camp was quite far away. I couldn't help but worry. Should I walk back? I didn't have the strength for that now. But riding a horse was out of the question; I was still shaken from the recent ordeal.


Seeing my dilemma, Princess Minmin suggested, "Why don't you ride with me on the same horse?" 


I was about to agree when Eighth Prince intervened, "There's no need for that trouble. I happen to be heading back, so I'll give Ruoxi a ride on my horse. Minmin Gege can continue riding." 

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

I felt it wasn't quite appropriate, wanting to say "no," but the word wouldn't come out. In the end, I remained silent. 


Seeing my lack of response, Minmin Gege smiled and said, "Thank you, Eight Prince!" Then she mounted her horse and said to me, "I'll come to see you when I have time." With a flick of the reins, she rode off into the distance.


I stood there quietly, with Eighth Prince standing silently behind me. After a while, Minmin was no longer visible. Eighth Prince took my hand and looked at it, frowning. "Does it hurt?" he asked. I was startled when I looked down and saw the bruises on both hands from gripping the horse's mane too tightly.


I shook my head slightly and tried to pull my hand back. He held on a little tighter, his hand directly on the bruise. I winced in pain, and he quickly released his grip. As I withdrew my hand, he sighed and said, "What should I do with you?" I turned my head away, refusing to meet his gaze.


He mounted the horse, pulling me into his embrace. The vastness surrounded us, the sky so blue, the clouds so white, the grass so green, and the wind so gentle. My heart softened, and I just wanted to indulge this once. Forget that he was Eight Prince. Forget that he had a wife. Forget my own rationality. I closed my eyes slowly, leaning gently into his embrace.


He rode the horse slowly, and with my eyes closed, I felt his chin against my head, his breath brushing against my skin. It felt ticklish, as if he was lightly scratching my heart. With one arm around me and the other holding the reins, it felt like this was my whole world. We could stay like this forever. Riding on horseback, finding my happiness.


Lost in this surreal happiness, he whispered softly in my ear, "You have me in your heart!" His tone was affirmative, not questioning. I quickly opened my eyes, but everything was blurry, just a hazy white. His words stirred up waves of emotions in my heart. My rational mind told me "no," but my mouth remained open, unable to utter the word.


After waiting for a moment, he chuckled softly, then pulled me tightly into his embrace, holding me close. He laughed softly in my ear, saying, "You have me in your heart!" Then, he sighed deeply. "You have me in your heart!" His sigh struck me directly in the heart, making it ache and bringing tears to my eyes. No amount of struggle or resistance could withstand it. I closed my eyes slowly, unwilling to think any further.


As we neared the camp, he dismounted and then lifted me down from the horse. His eyes were filled with laughter as he looked at me. I stood there quietly, unable to muster the courage to meet his gaze, feeling awkward under his scrutiny. Without looking back, I walked briskly towards the camp. He followed behind, smiling and leading the horse.


He tugged at my sleeve to slow down. Although my pace slowed, my eyes remained fixed ahead. Sensing my unease, he changed the subject with a smile and asked, "How did you end up with the Princess?" 


I replied, "It just happened. She saw that I wanted to learn horseback riding and kindly offered to teach me. But I really have to thank you. I'm glad I ran into you." 


He said, "I happened to pass by and caught a glimpse of someone riding a horse from afar. It seemed like you, so I came to take a look. I was a bit hesitant at first, wondering whether to come over. I'm glad I did!" He paused for a moment, then added slowly, "Next time you want to learn horseback riding, I'll teach you."


As I made my way back, everyone I encountered respectfully greeted and made way for me. He handed his horse to a passing soldier, instructing them to take it back to the stable. After bidding my farewells, he bowed his head in silent contemplation for a moment before softly saying, "Go on." I hurriedly turned and returned to my own tent.


Inside the tent, I found myself unable to contain my emotions any longer. I collapsed onto the woolen blanket, closing my eyes, my heart throbbing painfully. Yes, I did have feelings for him. How could I not be moved by his four years of dedication? But I couldn't face this emotion. I had too many fears and concerns, while he had too many ambitions and other women.


Lying there alone, I didn't know how much time had passed. Suddenly, I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder, and a deep, unfamiliar voice whispered, "Ruoxi." My heart leaped in shock, and I was about to cry out in alarm when a hand tightly covered my mouth. In a low voice, the voice whispered, "It's me."

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates