Chapter 24 Scarlet Heart

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Scarlet Heart 


 Chapter 24: 

(Qing Dynasty) Masterpiece, Best Quality, flat, Manga Scan, Anime, cinematic lighting, drawn Art, by Studio Trigger, cli...

Just shortly after the Spring Festival, with plum blossoms in full bloom, I stood beneath the trees, closed my eyes, and the fragrance wafted even more intensely. When does Kangxi plan to reinstate the Crown Prince? It's been over two months now!


I tried to recall the exact date, but I couldn't remember. All I knew was that it was at the beginning of this year. But now, even I was growing impatient. Those who were unaware of the details must have been suffering even more, feeling like each day was an eternity.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Lost in thought, I heard the voice of Tenth Prince, "Lost in your thoughts again?" I smiled as I opened my eyes, turning to see Ninth Prince, Fourteenth Prince, and Eighth Prince standing behind me. I quickly bowed in greeting. When I raised my head, my gaze instinctively met Eighth Prince's amused eyes, causing my heart to skip a beat. I quickly lowered my head, unable to muster the courage to look up again.


Ninth Prince scanned the surroundings, ensuring there was no one else nearby, before fixing his gaze on me and asking, "There's something I'd like to ask you today." I looked at him in confusion, wondering why this prince, who rarely spoke to me, wanted to inquire about something. 


I politely replied, "Please, Ninth Prince, ask away!" 


The other princes all seemed slightly surprised. Eighth Prince furrowed his brow, watching Ninth Prince intently, while Tenth Prince looked at Ninth Prince with confusion, and Fourteenth Prince stared at me with clear eyes.


"What did His Majesty say to Second Brother?" 


I exclaimed, suddenly understanding the reason for their inquiry. It made sense; at that time, only Li Dequan and I were present in the room. Regardless of who was serving Kangxi at that moment, it would be impossible for them to know the details of the conversation unless they could pry open Li Dequan's mouth. But that was as difficult as trying to pluck the moon from the sky.


Just as I was about to explain that I was outside the room at the time and didn't hear the specifics, Eighth Prince said, "Ruoxi, you may leave." 


I was just about to respond when I heard Fourteenth Prince speak up, "What's the rush in asking her? She and Li Dequan are the only ones who know. Apart from falling on her shoulders, no one else can answer."


Eighth Prince looked at Fourteenth and said, "Passing on private conversations between His Majesty and his ministers to court attendants, once discovered, do you understand the consequences?" His voice turned cold as he spoke. Fourteenth Prince hesitated for a moment, glanced at me briefly, then shifted his gaze to the plum blossoms without saying another word. 

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Tenth Prince immediately intervened, "Ruoxi, you better hurry up and go about your business!"


Ninth Prince snorted twice and said, "There are only a few of us here. If she doesn't speak, and we don't speak, who else will know?" He looked at me coldly. 


Seeing Eighth Prince's icy demeanor, I hurriedly spoke before he could, "Although I was in the room at the time, I was stationed outside. His Majesty and Second Prince were inside, so I couldn't hear clearly." 


As soon as I finished speaking, Ninth Prince chuckled coldly while looking at Eighth Prince, "Eighth Brother, take a good look! This is the person you've been worrying about. I might as well raise a dog..." 


Before he could finish, Eighth Prince interjected sharply, "Ninth Brother!


He didn't look at me, his gaze swept slowly over the faces of the princes, and finally he stared at Ninth Prince and said, "No one is allowed to inquire about anything regarding His Majesty from her anymore." Ninth Prince's expression darkened as he locked eyes with Eighth Prince for a moment, while Eighth Prince maintained a calm demeanor. Fourteenth Prince, on the other hand, looked at me coldly, while Tenth Prince glanced at Eighth Prince, then at Ninth Prince, his mouth opening and closing without sound.


Finally, Ninth Prince sneered a few times, abruptly turned, and strode away, followed closely by Fourteenth Prince with a trace of coldness around his lips. Tenth Prince scratched his head, glanced at each of us, and then left as well.


Eighth Prince then turned his head slightly, smiled faintly, and glanced at me before walking away with measured steps. I stood there silently, feeling the chill in the air, realizing that none of them believed I hadn't heard anything. As I watched Eighth Prince's retreating figure, I felt a pang of sadness. Even he didn't believe me! Suppressing the urge to cry, I turned and hurried back, but after a few steps, his usual gentle smile, warm under the sunlight, and his rare hearty laughter filled my mind, causing a sharp pain in my heart. I stopped in my tracks, sighed deeply, and thought, enough! What have I done for him all these years? Then, I turned around and ran after them.


They turned back when they heard footsteps behind them. Seeing me, Ninth Prince gave a cold smile and continued walking, while Eighth Prince, Tenth Prince, and Fourteenth Prince stopped in their tracks.


I stopped, panting for breath, and glanced around. Before I could speak, Eighth Prince said, "I don't want to hear it, you go back!" 


I shook my head and said, "I just wanted to tell you, but there's no way. I really didn't hear anything." They all looked puzzled. 


I smiled at Tenth Prince and said, "You go with Ninth Prince first!" He was taken aback and asked, "Why do you want to send me away?" He glanced at Eighth Prince, who nodded gently and said, "Go ahead."


Tenth Prince glared at me with resentment. I stepped forward, tugged at his sleeve, and softly said, "It's for your own good!" But he remained unmoved. 


I smiled and tugged at his sleeve again, saying, "Please! Don't be angry, okay? Please?" 

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

He was at a loss and reluctantly pulled his sleeve away from my hand, grumbling, "You're nothing like a proper lady!" and stormed off.


Seeing that he had calmed down, I stuck out my tongue playfully and looked at Eighth Prince and Fourteenth Prince. Eighth Prince's face was no longer indifferent, and he smiled as he shook his head slightly. Fourteenth Prince glanced at Eighth Prince, then sighed heavily while looking at me. 


I glanced around again, then spoke softly, "His Majesty cares a lot about the Crown Prince." After saying that, I continued to smile at them and asked, "Did my sister like the cowhide painting I brought her from beyond the Great Wall last time? And did Qiuhui and Dongyun like the pearl ornaments I gave them?"


 Eighth Prince smiled and said, "They all liked them very much!" 


I chuckled and said, "On New Year's Eve, my sister came to the palace for the banquet, but I had to stay to guard the palace and missed the chance to see her. We sisters didn't have a chance to talk, so I'll trouble Eighth Prince to give her something nice for me." Eighth Prince nodded with a smile. 


With a slight bow, I said, "I'll take my leave now." 


Eighth Prince softly said, "Go ahead!" I turned around and went back.

・・・

These past few days, I've been feeling uneasy, worried about the words I blurted out without careful consideration. I've been pondering over what impact my words might have had. Did they slow down their pace in seeking power? Or did they prompt them to take more measures to undermine the Crown Prince, in order to reduce the Emperor's favor towards him? Thinking it over, I have no answers. I couldn't help but silently question myself: were my words right or wrong? Would they backfire? I was lost in these thoughts as I walked back, but then I heard Thirteenth Prince calling out to me from behind.


To my surprise, both Fourth Prince and Thirteenth Prince were there. Since the conversation I had with Thirteenth Prince in the tent, so much had happened, and I hadn't had a chance to face Fourth Prince in person. Standing before Fourth Prince, my ears felt hot, and my heart was in turmoil. Images of that night with rough weather and his cold lips brushing against my cheek, lips, and ear flashed through my mind, making me feel awkward. After exchanging greetings, I was eager to leave.


But Thirteenth Prince reached out to stop me with a smile. "It's been so long since we last met. Why do you seem so distant?" 


I hurriedly replied, "It's not like that. I just have some things to take care of." 


Thirteenth Prince shook his head disbelievingly, but still said, "Alright, then go ahead."


Before I could move, Fourth Prince spoke in a calm tone, "I have something to ask you." I froze in place. 

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Thirteenth Prince chuckled lightly, then coughed a few times, trying to hold back his laughter, and said, "Um... I actually have something to attend to as well, so I'll leave first." I reached out to stop him, but he skillfully dodged and walked away quickly.


My heart was filled with worry. How should I explain? How can I make him believe? And how can I explain it without making him feel embarrassed or angry?


I was feeling extremely uneasy, my mind in turmoil. Yet, he calmly asked, "What did His Majesty and Second Brother discuss that day?" My unease dissipated instantly, leaving me with a strange mix of relief and a faint sense of loss. I couldn't quite understand the feeling—perhaps it was relief mingled with a hint of disappointment. I couldn't help but inwardly mock myself for being so melodramatic.


Collecting myself, I replied calmly, "I was stationed outside at the time, while His Majesty and Second Brother were inside. I do not know what they discussed."


He glanced around briefly, then took a couple of steps closer. I involuntarily took a step back, but he followed, and soon I found myself pressed against the tree trunk with no escape. We stood in close proximity, his breath almost palpable. He spoke softly, "Were you upset with me that night?" 


I quickly shook my head. I thought, as long as you're not upset with me, that's all that matters. I certainly wasn't upset with you. Firstly, it was my misunderstanding that caused the confusion, and secondly, I hadn't gathered the courage to be angry with you.


He gazed into my eyes and said slowly, "Perhaps I misunderstood your intentions at the time." I nodded incessantly, thinking, as long as you understand, that's all that matters! But before I could fully calm myself, I watched as he smiled at me, and I felt a shiver run down my spine. Coldness crept up from the soles of my feet. As expected, he continued with a smile, "But I don't regret kissing you." My heart immediately raced! While trying to suppress my nervousness, I pondered the meaning behind his words and how to respond.


After he finished speaking, his hand reached to my neckline and lightly tugged it down, glancing inside. His chilly fingertips slid over my skin, leaving me feeling colder. Despite his seemingly casual gesture, he carried it out naturally, as if such intimacy between us was entirely justified. Anger surged through me, disregarding whether he would become Yongzheng in the future. I swatted his hand away forcefully.


He didn't seem to mind, retracting his hand following my movement, stepping back a couple of paces. His voice remained calm as he asked, "Why aren't you wearing it?" I was momentarily taken aback, quickly realizing he wanted to see if I was wearing that necklace.


I replied stiffly, "It's in the room. I'll give it back to you the next time Fourth Prince comes to the palace." His eyes held a hint of coldness and sarcasm as he stared at me for a moment. My stubborn nature surfaced, unwilling to consider the consequences any further as I continued to gaze directly at him.


Suddenly, a faint smile appeared at the corner of his mouth, and he said, "Since you've accepted it, there's no reason to return it." I opened my mouth to explain that it was all a misunderstanding, that I had no idea it was from him. But as I began to speak, I realized how futile it would be. Should I tell him I thought it was a gift from Eighth Prince? I ended up closing my mouth again, feeling immensely frustrated.


He looked at me, seeing my hesitation, and continued, "Some things, though initiated by you, are not within your control to end." I felt a sense of grievance and frustration welling up inside, unable to vent it out. With a hint of resentment and anger, I returned his gaze. There was a slight smile playing at the corners of his mouth, his expression calm as he looked at me for a moment. Then, he subdued the smile and said lightly, "One day, you will be willing to wear it."


Though his tone was casual, there was an undeniable force behind his words, something that couldn't be reversed by anyone. I was suddenly startled, realizing that my confrontational approach with him wouldn't lead to victory. I needed to consider other strategies. All those years of studying seemed to have gone to waste. How could I forget principles like using softness to overcome hardness or employing minimal force to achieve maximum results? As I pondered, my facial expression gradually softened.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

After a moment of silence, he asked, "Even if you couldn't hear the specifics, surely you caught at least something?" 


I refocused my attention on him, meeting his gaze steadily, and replied calmly, "Nothing." He didn't say anything, his expression remaining indifferent as he clasped his hands behind his back, staring deeply at me. I felt the slight relaxation in my heart from earlier fading away once again.


Quickly running through my thoughts, did Li Dequan, on that day, not consider the possibility of someone asking me questions? The answer was clear—he must have anticipated it. That's why he left me in the outer room; even if someone inquired, it wouldn't matter. Moreover, Li Dequan's actions towards me at that time seemed like a test. If I were truly aligned with the princes, I would surely try to eavesdrop on this crucial conversation between the Emperor and the Crown Prince. However, I remained in the same spot near the door, lost in my thoughts about other matters. If it was indeed a test, then Li Dequan, that old fox, would have seen through everything. In that case, there was simply no possibility of me leaking any information. Reflecting on this, I couldn't help but feel a bit apprehensive. If I had succumbed to curiosity and attempted to eavesdrop at that moment, I fear...


Quickly pulling my thoughts back, now wasn't the time to analyze Li Dequan. The most important thing at hand was to navigate through this situation with the Fourth Prince. It was evident that he was determined to glean some information from me. While refusing him was an option, he was the Fourth Prince, the future Yongzheng Emperor. Was it really necessary for me to create friction with him over this matter? Would all my previous caution and prudence go to waste?


After a few mental rotations, I smiled and lifted my head to face the Fourth Prince. "At that time, I only faintly heard the Crown Prince's crying from the outer room," I said, then bowed slightly to bid farewell. 


His voice was calm as he asked, "Did you tell the same thing to your brother-in-law?" 


My body stiffened slightly as I straightened up, but I maintained my smile and replied, "Exactly!"


His gaze held no warmth as he looked at me. I kept my smile, returning his gaze with softness. After a moment, he softly said, "You may go." I smiled again, offering another courtesy before turning and walking away.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Post a Comment

What did you think of this chapter?

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates