46 Ye Cheng Fu

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Ye Cheng Fu


 Chapter 46: 

 


I quickly shook my head, "No, no, you think I’m stupid!"


"If you don’t go into the palace, the Empress won’t let you leave here."


"Then I’ll just stay here," I said hastily. "It’s quite nice here. The weather has been getting warmer, and it's cool here. Plus, there are so many little animals to keep me company. They're very cute, and I really like them. The food is fine too, and it's safe. Just leave me alone and go."

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

"Little animals?" Shen Ye raised an eyebrow. "Do you like the rats that crawl out of the latrine?"


I was at a loss for words.


"Good food?" Shen Ye glanced at the half-empty food container in the corner and kicked it. "Are you tired of delicacies and have developed a taste for scraps? Safe?" Shen Ye looked around the room, and his three attendants immediately understood. They flew up, each carrying a black-clad figure. 


Shen Ye glanced back at the three black-clad individuals, "They’ve been lying here all night, unwilling to leave. Is this still safe?"


"Well, it's better than the palace…" I muttered quietly. Shen Ye scoffed, "I have a private residence in the palace where even the Empress has to announce her arrival. If you go there, I guarantee your safety."


I didn't respond. Bai Shaotang had said that Shen Ye couldn't be trusted.


Perhaps I had exhausted his patience. He glanced at the chain on the wall, and one of his guards stepped forward to unlock it. In the meantime, he looked at me and said quietly, "Whether you trust me or not, just know that I won’t harm you. Shu Cheng," he said, lowering his gaze and gently touching the small fan in his hand, "many things will be done whether I do them or someone else does. Letting me handle them will be better for you. Everything I do is to ensure your well-being."


"You speak, and I'll listen," I said with a mocking smile.


Realizing he couldn't persuade me further, Shen Ye sighed and walked in. "Fine, we won’t go into the palace. You can't stay here with your injuries. I’ll take you away."


Hearing this, I couldn't help but show my confusion.


He could easily have ignored my feelings, knocked me out, and carried me away, but he patiently discussed it with me, seeming unwilling to go against my wishes. I assessed him as he asked, "Is that alright?"


I finally nodded. Shen Ye breathed a sigh of relief and said gently, "Shall I carry you out?"


"I can walk myself," I replied, my expression darkening. "Shen Ye, my martial arts may not be as good as yours, and I may not be as strong, but I’m better than the average woman. You can't look down on me like that!"


"Alright," Shen Ye said, suppressing a smile. "I know, I was overthinking. Let’s go."


With that, he turned and led me forward.


I stretched a bit and followed him out. My injuries were mainly from Wei Xiu breaking my ribs. Compared to the tortures faced by the eldest princess, my wounds were not as severe. It seemed almost surreal to me that I could end up experiencing all these brutalities while my family was at its peak.


Shen Ye led me to the entrance, nodded coldly at the jailers waiting there, and then boldly helped me into the carriage. When getting into the carriage, he carefully supported me to avoid aggravating my injuries and, before I knew it, lifted me by the waist and placed me inside. I couldn’t help but scowl at him. He said nothing but smiled as he entered the carriage, "You’ve lost weight recently, your waist is quite slim now."


My face stiffened, and I decided not to continue this conversation with the rogue. Instead, I lay down on the small bed in the carriage and closed my eyes to pretend to sleep.


The bed was very soft and carried his scent. It was a specially mixed fragrance. I used to think it was orchid, but later realized it was a blend of several flower scents. Initially, it smelled like orchids, but after a while, it lingered with a subtle, elegant, and clear aroma, like bamboo in the rain.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

I lay quietly in the carriage, and it seemed Shen Ye understood my fatigue. He said nothing more, softly instructing the driver to slow down the carriage. As I began to doze off, he carefully sat beside me, draping a light blanket over me, and then settled beside me, holding my hand in silence.


Though I was extremely tired, having him by my side kept me alert and unable to fully relax. I adjusted my breathing, pretending to be asleep. The carriage moved slowly, and after a while, it suddenly stopped. I heard voices outside, and then someone lifted the curtain, letting in a blast of cold air. Shen Ye slightly shifted his body to shield me from the wind and whispered, "Why so reckless?"


"How did you get her out?!" Shen Cong also lowered his voice. They seemed to think I was asleep and spoke as if their voices wouldn't disturb me, or perhaps they didn't care if I was disturbed.


"She was already tortured by the eldest princess before, and Wei Xiu injured her ribs that day. I’m worried she might suffer long-term consequences," Shen Ye said quietly, his tone devoid of emotion. He then changed the subject, "Did you find Shangguan Liuqing?"


"She's alive. I found her trail, but Shangguan Liuqing is quite adept at covering her tracks. I don’t think we need to pursue her further; she’s likely heading toward Chu Capital herself."


"If you want to protect Shu Cheng, you need to delay things for now. Currently, the Shangguan family is controlled by Shangguan Yun. Everyone believes Shu Cheng killed Shangguan Liulan, and they’re united in demanding her life in return. If you delay until Shangguan Liuqing returns, and if she takes over from Shangguan Yun, everything should stabilize."


"As long as the Shangguan family is willing to ease their stance, the court’s investigation into the Yuan De year’s events will be limited. There aren’t many people who can pursue it; the Dali Temple and the Criminal Division are controlled by the Shangguan family, and they’re unwilling to investigate further. I’ve also had Yu Feng and Bai Qi prepare for when Shangguan Liuqing returns. We should be nearly ready with this case."


"What about Huanxi?"


"I’ve had Zheng Can check on him. He’s being sustained with medicine."


"And Qin Yang?"


"She’s also fine."


"What about Shangguan Wanqing?"


"She's been detained by Shangguan Yun and has been declared ill to the outside world, taking leave from the court," Shen Cong replied.


"It’s time to release her," Shen Ye said with a gentle smile, his tone warm. "Liucheng of the Censorate is a useless official. She’s been secretly laundering money and selling illicit salt through Yu Jin. Have Peony inform her that Shangguan Yun has been abusing her power, imprisoning Shangguan Wanqing due to their personal conflict. The Censorate’s officials cannot ignore such illegal actions. Make sure he takes a stand and demands justice."


"I understand," Shen Cong pondered for a moment, "Should Peony dispatch a guard team to ensure her safety?"


"Too conspicuous. If you send a team, the Shangguan family will catch wind of it immediately. Although Shangguan Yun hasn’t fully grasped the Shangguan family’s power, do you think the Shangguan family is naïve?"


"Then…" Shen Cong seemed unsure. Shen Ye sighed as he ran his fingers through my hair, "Have someone closely follow Shu Rou. The other members of the Shu family can’t be trusted, but Shu Rou, being Cheng’er’s mother, won’t harm her."


"You’ve arranged everything so thoroughly…" Shen Cong’s voice held a note of dissatisfaction. "There’s no need to pull Shu Cheng out of the prison. Qin Yang has already promised to look after her. Why are you still worried? If you publicly remove her from the prison, the Empress might become suspicious."


Shen Ye, rarely silent, finally spoke up, "If you’re pulling her out, get her into the palace quickly. The Empress will tolerate you for a while, but if you overstep, she might turn against you."


Shen Ye remained silent, and I felt as if his gaze was fixed on me. After a moment, his warm fingertips gently touched my brow. Shen Cong's voice was filled with panic: "Elder Brother!"


"A'Cong," Shen Ye suddenly spoke, "I’m feeling a bit tired."


"What do you mean?" Shen Cong’s tone grew cold. Shen Ye let out a low, hoarse laugh: "I seem to have suddenly realized… why the Empress wanted to kill my father. If my father hadn’t died, in the nineteenth year of Tianqing, it would have been the Empress who died, not Wei Yunxi… A'Cong," Shen Ye looked up at the refined young man before him, speaking somewhat vacantly, "Should I arrange a marriage for you?"


Shen Cong’s expression changed abruptly, and after a long pause, he gritted his teeth and said, "Nonsense!"


The tone was like an adult scolding a child. Shen Ye laughed softly, not bothering to argue. The carriage fell into an eerie silence. After a long while, I finally heard Shen Cong's cold voice: "Elder Brother, everyone has moments of panic. We are brothers; I will not abandon you."

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Shen Ye didn’t respond. He sighed and secretly grasped my hand under the thin blanket.


The carriage swayed for a while before finally coming to a stop. He carefully picked me up and slowly carried me down from the carriage.


I lay in his arms with my eyes still closed, and he didn’t wake me. He carried me gently into the bedroom and placed me on the bed before walking out.


When he left, I finally opened my eyes. I took a look around; the room was extremely simple, but everything in it was a high-quality piece. Even the pearls used for decoration on the bed were perfectly round and top-grade.


I struggled to sit up, and just as I did, he pushed open the door and walked in. We exchanged glances for a moment before he lowered his head and said gently, “This is my country villa. It’s the best place for you to recuperate. The food in the dungeon was not good, and you’re used to finer things. You must not have had a decent meal. If you want anything, I’ll have someone prepare it.”


“A bowl of noodles,” I said without hesitation, “scallion noodles, nothing too complicated.”


I’m not picky, I’m not sure who spread that rumor. I’ve always been easy to please.


He smiled and tilted his head. “I’ll make it for you. It seems I haven’t cooked for you before… Although my skills aren’t great, scallion noodles should be manageable.” He then walked over to me. “Can you move around?”


“Yes,” I nodded and got up. After all, I had only injured my rib, not broken my leg.


I followed him to the kitchen, and along the way, he gave me a tour of the villa’s layout. The garden was beautifully designed, with the charm of southern Chinese architecture—stone bridges, flowing water, pavilions, and rockeries, all meticulously arranged. I was thoroughly impressed. When we reached the kitchen, Shen Ye dismissed the staff and had me sit to the side while he prepared the meal.


The kitchen was not large, resembling a typical home kitchen with a stove, a table, a cupboard, and an Eight Immortals table.


The cupboard was made of pearwood, solid and spacious, with one section left open and lined with various knives, giving it a professional feel.


Before we arrived, the stove was already lit, and a large pot filled with water was boiling. I watched as Shen Ye skillfully took out flour, added water and eggs, and began to knead the dough.


He was exceptionally proficient, making an ordinary task seem imbued with an extraordinary elegance, as if he were not kneading dough but preparing tea or arranging flowers.


His hands were remarkably graceful, his wide sleeves rolled up to reveal long, pale arms that looked like they were carved from ice, glinting softly under the light. His slender fingers worked the soft dough with a delicate touch, twisting and turning it, making me feel as if he were molding not just the dough, but my very heart.


How could it be otherwise?


For so long, my heart had been like this dough, resisting and struggling yet still yielding to his manipulation. I said I would ignore him but couldn't bring myself to; I vowed not to trust him but ended up believing; I promised to draw a line between us but found myself trapped in his schemes, unwilling to truly hurt him. The worst scenario I ever imagined was divorcing him and leaving him to face judgment at the Dali Temple, but I never seriously considered killing him.


And he?


Feigning affection as Su Rongqing, using my trust to set traps and ultimately causing Liulan's death through my care…


Thinking of this, I averted my gaze to the cup in front of me. The dough in his hands was inevitably becoming firmer; though it started as a soft paste, his kneading and twisting gradually gave it resilience.


Just like my own heart.


I closed my eyes and sighed softly.


Shen Ye had finished kneading the dough and began cutting it into even small pieces with a clean, practiced hand. His movements were swift and precise, revealing his familiarity with the task.


"I used to think your knife was only for killing," I said, trying to shift my focus from my tumultuous thoughts.


He stretched the dough pieces into noodles without hesitation, smiling gently as he replied, "When I was young, I took care of Shen Cong during those years. We were severely injured and had no money. Shen Cong had a delicate stomach, and the food we bought from the street often made him sick. I had no choice but to cook for him myself.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

"He was used to being spoiled and refused to eat anything that didn't meet his high standards. Children are prone to illness if they're picky eaters, so I had to learn to cook. I went to a restaurant to work and secretly learned many things..."


His tone was even as he recounted these past events, lacking any noticeable emotion. My curiosity was piqued. "So Shen Cong was raised by you from a young age? Is he your real brother?"


"In terms of blood relation, he's barely a cousin, and a distant one at that." Shen Ye smiled as he lifted the pot lid, steam blurring his face. He carefully placed the noodles into the boiling water, his voice gentle, "He is a descendant of the Shen family. As you know, during those times, the Shen family was almost entirely wiped out. The women were executed, and the men and children committed suicide. Shen Cong was only three years old at the time. He was fortunate enough to survive when his family's bodies were dumped in a mass grave."


"I was also buried among the corpses. When I struggled to wake up, I heard someone calling for help. I usually don't care much about saving people, but for some reason that day, I managed to pull him out of the pile of bodies." As he spoke, he cracked an egg into the pot, his words flowing more freely. "I had no family, and neither did he, so I took him with me. At that time, I was a hunted fugitive, having been stabbed while fighting for power. During that period, I concealed my identity and took Shen Cong with me, wandering from place to place. We lived off odd jobs and even worked as laborers. Later, when I recovered, I gathered forces and fought my way back, eventually becoming the leader."


Shen Ye's narration was calm, but his hands moved with a gentle precision that reflected a deep sense of responsibility and care. The simple act of making noodles became a window into his past, revealing the sacrifices and struggles that had shaped him.


I knew that Shen Ye was involved with the most notorious assassination organization in the world. I had always understood that he lived a dangerous life, but I never imagined he had literally emerged from a grave of corpses.


I wasn't sure why he suddenly decided to share so many of his past experiences with me, but since he was willing to talk, I decided to listen. After all, knowing more could only be beneficial.


As the water boiled, Shen Ye expertly added seasonings to the bowl.


"I was holding the reins at twelve. Later, I divided it into two parts—one was Phoenix Tower, and the other..." He paused briefly, then continued, "At that time, Phoenix Tower was still located in Jiangnan, focusing on gathering intelligence and carrying out assassinations as before. When the Dark Court sent someone to recruit me, it was still under the leadership of someone named Xu Qing. I sent an offer to Xu Qing, to make Phoenix Tower a branch of the Dark Pavilion."


"By the age of fourteen, I had gained considerable power within the Dark Court. I frequently sabotaged Xu Qing, creating discord between him and the Empress. Mistrust between the Dark Court and the Empress was unacceptable, so I set up Phoenix Tower in the capital, and on its opening day, the Empress personally visited."


He carefully placed the noodles into the bowl and ladled some chicken soup over them, mixing it gently before setting it in front of me.


"I pledged my loyalty to the Empress, and she intended to use me as a weapon against Xu Qing. The Dark Court's power was much greater than what you see on the surface; even the Empress was wary of it. Xu Qing realized the Empress' intentions and began to resist."


"It took me three years of battling Xu Qing to finally bring the Dark Court under control."


"I never defied the Empress' wishes, always putting her first. I sustained serious injuries three times for her, one of which nearly cost me my life."


He picked up some noodles from the bowl and, after cooling them slightly, gently fed them to me.


My hands were inconveniently positioned, so his actions spared me the trouble. As I listened to his story, I ate the noodles he served.


“Rulers cannot trust everyone completely, but they also can’t afford to have no one they can trust. In the end, I became the one the Empress trusted most.”


“She trusts you because you have never defied or deceived her,” I said, chewing on the noodles and pondering, “But bringing me out of the prison—doesn’t that count as defiance?”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates