41 Ye Cheng Fu

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Ye Cheng Fu


 Chapter 41: 

 

As I was lost in thought, I heard the distant sound of horse hooves. Turning around, I was surprised to see Shen Ye approaching. He must have managed to get a horse from somewhere, and despite his clearly weak condition, he was determinedly riding towards me. His pale face, large beads of cold sweat on his forehead, and the blood seeping from his clothes left me momentarily stunned. However, I couldn't help but smile. 


"You made it, huh? Good, good. Now we’re counting on you."


He remained silent, pressing his lips tightly together, his entire demeanor radiating a palpable killing intent that made those around me step forward protectively.


"You lied to me..." After a long pause, his raspy voice finally spoke. Hearing this, I couldn't help but laugh.


"No, Shen Ye, you’re the one who lied first. You said you were poisoned, that you were too injured to come to the Medicine King Valley. Yet here you are, somehow managing to get a horse and find the strength to reach me. My friend..." My eyes welled up with tears, my vision blurring, "Someone I considered a sister is dying. You used my trust to block me, and you were the one who deceived me first."

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

He said nothing, lowering his gaze to hide his emotions.


I dismounted, pulling him off the horse. He seemed to have no strength left and leaned heavily against me. I pushed him roughly to the ground, where he hit the gravel with a muffled thud. The sound seemed to strike a chord in my heart, causing waves of pain that made me shiver uncontrollably.


Yet I suppressed my emotions, drawing my sword and slicing my own arm. He stared at me with wide eyes as the pain jolted me back to my senses and stemmed my sympathy for his weakened state. With newfound resolve, I pointed the bloodied sword tip at him.


"Stop pretending. Get up and lead the way."


He didn't speak, just watched me quietly. After a long moment, he closed his eyes and sighed softly, gathering the strength to stand up, bit by bit, with great difficulty and slowness.


Watching him stand, the last shred of hope I had vanished. 


I wanted to convince myself that he hadn’t deceived me, but his struggle to rise silently revealed my own foolishness. I bit my lip, moving forward to grab his wrist and pin it behind his back, pressing the sword against his neck to force him to move ahead.


His condition seemed to improve slightly, and his steps grew steadier. After a few steps, he suddenly asked, “Shu Cheng, could you let go of me for a moment so I can calculate something?”


“What are you calculating?!” I demanded, trying to sound menacing. He looked at me with a resigned expression. “You blew up everything here, which has shifted the focal point of the array. I need to recalculate it!”


After hearing his explanation, I released him but stayed close, still keeping my sword pointed at him. Despite my efforts at intimidation, he remained calm, crouching down and arranging the pebbles while quickly calculating with his fingers. After a while, he finally stopped and pointed towards a large rock in the southwest.


“Have someone move that rock,” he said with a frown.


Before I could give the order, the alert men nearby had already started moving the rock, working together to shift it. 


Once the rock was moved, Shen Ye approached, crouched down, and struck the eight compass points with stones. When he struck the final position, the ground beneath me suddenly gave way, and I fell straight down. Shen Ye’s expression remained unchanged; he jumped down after me and caught me before I hit the ground, then jumped again to land gently.


A thunderous roar followed, and the entrance above us sealed itself shut.


He seemed quite pleased to see me panicking, even smiling as he held me. The elegant and handsome features of his face showed no trace of the previous struggle. In that moment, I couldn’t help but recall the time in the secret passage, when the Fire Qilin had waited for us below. He had held me just like this as we slid down together.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

I couldn’t help but be stunned for a moment. He seemed to know what I was thinking and gently said, “Don’t worry, there’s no Fire Qilin this time.”


As we landed, I realized we had arrived in a different place. Behind us was a cliff, and all around were peach trees, with a small stream winding deeper into the orchard. The gentle sound of flowing water added some liveliness to the land.


It was early spring, and while the peach trees outside had just started to bud, the ones here were already in full bloom, a breathtaking sea of blossoms. As I stared dazedly at the scene, Shen Ye handed me a damp cloth. I turned to see he had covered his own nose with a similar cloth.


“If you keep looking at the peach blossoms, you might turn into spring mud to protect the flowers.”


He covered his nose as he spoke, his voice muffled. I quickly took the cloth and covered my nose as well. As soon as I did, I couldn’t help but exclaim, “What is this?!”


Shen Ye gave me a deep look and pulled me forward. He casually said, “Do you believe it’s child’s urine?”


“Where did this come from?!”


I shouted in frustration, torn between my desire to stay clean and the need to survive. Shen Ye continued to pull me along, his expression unreadable. “I made it just now, it’s very fresh.”


“Shen Ye!” I was furious, but then suddenly thought of something, “Did you wash your hands?!”


At this, he couldn’t help but chuckle, his earlier grim mood disappearing. He laughed, “The medicine does have a strange smell after being diluted, but I thought it should be easier to accept than real child’s urine.”


Considering the comparison, I found the medicine not too bad. After all, it was just the smell that was odd, not actual child’s urine…


With the antidote, we moved through the second challenge with unusual ease, and soon we came across a dense forest.


Shen Ye stopped, flicking the cloth aside, and looked coldly at the dense forest ahead. He tightened his grip on me and said, “Shu Cheng, come here and hold on to me.”


“I’ll follow you—”


“If you make one wrong step, we’ll both die here.”


Hearing this, I stopped being stubborn and immediately reached out to him. “Alright, come on, let’s get moving.”


He chuckled and lifted me effortlessly.


Seeing how easily he carried me, I couldn’t help but feel a bit unsettled, but I forced a smile and said, “You’re recovering quite fast.”


He didn’t respond, merely gave me a sarcastic look, as if he understood my concern. Ignoring my comment, he carefully stepped into the forest.


The dense forest seemed to hide a powerful formation. He held me and carefully advanced, each step measured and cautious. Every move appeared to require intense concentration, and soon his forehead was beaded with sweat.


I didn’t dare speak, fearing that I might disturb his thoughts. Watching his difficult struggle, I felt for the first time a sense of helplessness. It was as if I were a child, fully aware of the danger yet unable to do anything. I bit my lip in frustration. 


Finally, he took a moment to look at me, seemingly understanding my feelings. He offered a comforting smile and then lowered his head to kiss my forehead.


I looked up at him, stunned, and he smiled gently. “Don’t blame yourself, my wife. As long as you’re in my arms, I’ll shield you from the world’s storms and troubles.”


He took the final step.


In an instant, the world seemed to spin. I clung to him tightly, but he stood calmly as the surrounding scenery changed.


Moments later, a valley appeared before us. At the edge of the valley stood a large stone tablet, weathered and worn by time, with black characters on a white background that read: "Medicine King Valley."


Upon entering Medicine King Valley, we were immediately surrounded by people bustling about. Some held medical books, others carried silver needles, and some were laden with herbs in their baskets. There were also people carrying sickles and filled baskets of medicinal plants.


As Shen Ye led me in, everyone greeted him warmly.


“Master Shen has arrived!”


“Long time no see, Master Shen.”


“Is Master Shen here to see the Valley Master? He’s in the study.”


“Shen…”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

The people here were very friendly with Shen Ye, indicating their familiarity. I couldn’t help but glance at Shen Ye with curiosity. He, too, seemed unbothered and said directly, “I have a good relationship with Zheng Can and often come here. I know most of the people in the valley, young and old.”


As we arrived at the study, Zheng Can seemed to have been informed of our arrival. The moment Shen Ye stepped into the room, Zheng Can exclaimed happily, “Brother Shen has arrived!”


He started to approach us with his bamboo cane, but after taking a few steps, he frowned.


“Unsteady footsteps, sweet breath,” Zheng Can said, extending his hand to pull Shen Ye toward him. Shen Ye gently pushed his hand away with a fan and replied, “We came here to have you meet someone.”


“Shen Ye, if you keep pushing yourself like this, you might as well bury yourself here next time you come to Medicine King Valley,” Zheng Can said, ignoring Shen Ye’s words entirely. He was clearly upset and turned around, saying, “I’m in the middle of refining medicine and can’t leave. If that person can’t hold on until I get there, then let them die.”


“Zheng Can!” I shouted angrily, glaring at him. My emotions surged as I looked at this man’s indifferent demeanor. 


I knew that both he and Shangguan Liulan were pitiful in their own ways. Seeing him so cold and remembering Liuyan’s bitter smile, I couldn’t hold back any longer and punched Zheng Can in the face.


He, unskilled in martial arts, was knocked to the ground. In an instant, I saw silver needles shooting out from his sleeves. Shen Ye’s fan, as if guided by foresight, blocked the needles. He shouted angrily, “Go save Shangguan Liulan!”


Zheng Can was stunned by the command. His sightless eyes were filled with confusion. After a long pause, he suddenly burst into laughter.


“She’s going to die… is she finally going to die?” Zheng Can's voice was full of despair, yet he laughed uncontrollably. “Great, I’ve waited so long… she’s finally going to die. The wealth and glory of the Shangguan family, she can no longer grasp it…”


He spoke with scornful words, but then suddenly began to cough violently, tears streaming from his eyes.


I stared at him in shock, unable to reconcile this with the doctor who had been so composed in our home and treated my mother. I grasped his collar, tightening and loosening my grip. After a long pause, I closed my eyes and said, “Zheng Can, for the sake of Shangguan Liulan saving your life with her own, don’t be so heartless. How could Shangguan Liulan not hold on to the wealth and glory of the Shangguan family?” My voice trembled, growing hoarse as I recalled her upright figure in the court.


At eighteen she entered the court, at twenty she became the head of the Shangguan family. In just four years, she managed the Shangguan family, which had been like a sieve, with such skill and wisdom, standing tall in the turbulent court. She became the first person in our dynasty to hold dual posts as both Minister of Justice and Vice Minister of the Supreme Court.


With such abilities and intelligence, how could she not grasp the Shangguan family’s prestige?


“If it weren’t for that year when you were poisoned, she would not have ruined her health to save you. How did she end up like this…” 


Tears fell from my eyes as I pounded my fists relentlessly.


“She deserved a glorious life! She deserved wealth and honor! She was the eldest daughter of the Shangguan family, the head of the Shangguan family. Given time, she would have been remembered in history. It was you who destroyed her! It was you! It was…”


“How did she save me?!”


Zheng Can finally reacted, grabbing my fists and shouting with bloodshot eyes, “She couldn’t have saved me! She…”


“Zheng Can.” Shen Ye finally spoke, his voice cold and detached, like the icy snow atop Mount Tianshan, instantly bringing calm to the chaos. “The person you met when you were young was not Shangguan Liulan, but Shangguan Liuqing. So Shangguan Liulan did not deceive you. She returned the person you loved to you.


“You met Shangguan Liuqing when you were young, but your father despised her as a concubine’s daughter and wanted you to marry the legitimate daughter of the Shangguan family. So he deceived you, saying that you met Shangguan Liulan. By a twist of fate, the sachet you left with Shangguan Liuqing, due to its unique fragrance, was taken by Shangguan Liulan. Thus, that year you mistook Shangguan Liulan for the girl you liked when you encountered her at Phoenix Tower. At that time, Shangguan Liulan was suffering from amnesia and did as you said.”


“Back then, Shangguan Liulan had feelings for you. Later, when the Shangguan family came looking for her, you lost your sight due to an assassination attempt on her. She finally remembered everything, and unwilling to be someone else’s substitute, she returned Shangguan Liuqing to you, staying by your side all this time. We were both wrong,” Shen Ye said slowly, lowering his gaze, “We both thought that Shangguan Liulan returned to the Shangguan family for their power and looked down on you, unwilling to marry you. But in reality, her feelings were so deep and helpless. She didn’t want to be someone else’s replacement, so she turned all her love into protection around you. You liked Shangguan Liuqing, so she clipped the wings of this concubine’s daughter from the Shangguan family and placed her by your side to serve you. But Shangguan Liuqing, having fought for the position of family head for years, could not be content. That year, when you were poisoned, she hid the antidote, informing Shangguan Liulan instead. To save you, Shangguan Liuyan used a life-for-life method…”


“Stop talking…” Zheng Can trembled, repeatedly muttering, “Impossible… Impossible… No…”


“Zheng Can,” Shen Ye said, gently stroking his small golden fan, “She should have died long ago, but she held on because she wanted you to become the head of the Shangguan family. “Even though Shangguan Liuqing harmed, hated, and insulted her, because you loved Shangguan Liuqing, Shangguan Liulan was willing to use everything she had to pave a smooth road for Shangguan Liuqing, creating a brilliant future. She wanted you to be well; she couldn’t marry you to become the head of the Shangguan family, so she…”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

“Stop talking!” Zheng Can suddenly roared, collapsing to the ground, covering his eyes with his hands and crying like a child. I watched quietly, gritting my teeth as I pulled him up, angrily saying, “If you keep crying, she’ll really die! Hurry up and come with me to save her!”


Hearing this, Zheng Can was momentarily stunned. His eyes lit up with hope, and he quickly arranged for horses and medical supplies, rushing out with us.


With Zheng Can leading the way, the path through Medicine King Valley became much easier. We took a different route out of the valley and soon arrived on the main road.


None of us spoke during the journey. Zheng Can clenched his teeth, his eyes filled with a fierce determination. When we finally reached the city of Chu, Shen Ye waved his token, and the guards at the city gate, startled, did not dare to stop us, allowing us to ride straight into the city. However, as we approached the Shangguan residence, we were met with the sound of overwhelming wailing from within.


Zheng Can abruptly tightened the reins, unable to move forward. I, too, understood the gravity of the situation, tears welling up in my eyes.


Shen Ye rode up beside him and gently reminded, “She wants to see you; she has been waiting for you for a long time.”


Zheng Can finally came to his senses. He dismounted and slowly walked forward, each step cautious and filled with apprehension, his whole body trembling as if he might collapse at any moment.


We moved to support him, and he suddenly spoke in a hoarse voice, “After I lost my sight that year, she left. When she returned, it was another girl who came. She carried the incense I had given to Liulan and spoke of the past. But as soon as she spoke, I knew she was not Liulan. I asked where Liulan had gone, and she told me that Liulan had remembered everything, returned to the Shangguan family, and did not want to be associated with someone of my status anymore. But she owed me a debt, so she sent Shangguan Liuqing as her substitute, intending to deceive me into settling for a lifetime with her. After all, I was a blind doctor and could not recognize the difference.”


“But little did she know…” Zheng Can’s smile turned bitter. “I had long stopped using the incense to recognize her. I had engraved her voice, her tone, her habits into my very bones. I loved her so deeply, yet she did not want this love. Because I was just a wandering doctor, and no matter how high my status in Medicine King Valley, I could never be worthy of her position as the legitimate daughter of the Shangguan family.


“I tried to find her, but with my status, how could I ever see her easily? When I returned to Medicine King Valley, I told myself day and night to stop caring…”


But how could one stop caring?


To love someone deeply is to be unable to disregard them.


He missed her day and night, and the more he clung to this love, the more painful it became.


He finally grew to hate her. In the endless thoughts and dreams, he hated her so much that he wanted to consume her entirely, at least then she would belong to him.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates