36 Ye Cheng Fu

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Ye Cheng Fu


 Chapter 36: 

 

I couldn't possibly consummate the marriage with him. We don't have a future together, and it's impossible to have children with him. He will leave eventually, whether sooner or later. I can confine him for a while, but I can't confine him for a lifetime…


Yet he, someone like him, speaking so seriously about trusting him…


I almost found myself believing him.


I didn't dare go back, just standing in the snow, letting the heavy flakes fall on me. It was in that moment that I found a sliver of clarity.


After Shen Ye was confined, he was normally not allowed to leave. I suggested going to his courtyard, but he kept shaking his head. After pressing him for a long time, he turned away, coldly saying, “My courtyard is too cold by the water. And the bed is too small.”


I was taken aback, thinking of my own bed, which I had used for over twenty years, and realized that there might not be a bed as comfortable as the one I had carefully crafted. However, his attitude was truly puzzling. When I mentioned this to Bai Shaotang during the day, he coldly remarked while feeding his parrot, “I’ve assigned top experts to his courtyard. If he wants to come out without being detected, it’s harder than reaching the heavens. Do you really think he’ll stay confined there? If he truly does, there’s no clue about the blood contract, and how will he explain it to the Empress?”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Shaotang’s words gave me a jolt.


Seeing my expression, Shaotang looked bitter. He tossed the last bit of bird feed into the cage, sat down beside me, and said, “Shu Cheng, you can't even begin to guess how deep Shen Ye’s schemes go. Promise me you’ll control your feelings, okay?”


I stared at him, and Shaotang reached out, gently placing his hand on my shoulder, and continued, “The prosperity or downfall of the Bai and Shu families are tied together. Even if I can sacrifice for you, I don't want to involve my family. Shen Ye is not a good person. Do you know what the relationship between Qin Yang and him is?”


“What relationship?” I asked, my voice trembling with a hint of fear.


Shaotang gave a bitter smile. “I suspect it’s something like the relationship you have with him. Shu Cheng, many people admire him, yet he remained single until marrying you. There's a reason for that. A man like him, if he were to use love as a bargaining chip, it's highly likely. Or rather,” he sighed, “with his position and such a handsome appearance, it’s improbable that he wouldn’t use love as leverage.”


I was at a loss for words, feeling a heavy weight in my chest that made it hard to breathe.


I recalled the women around Shen Ye—Qin Yang, the Empress, and even Shangguan Wanqing, who seemed to admire him. 


Shaotang gently stroked my hair and held me close. I could hear his steady heartbeat, the crackling of the charcoal fire, and the wind and snow outside.


For some reason, everything felt suddenly quiet. I stayed in his embrace, and after a long while, I heard him ask, “Shu Cheng, when Shen Ye leaves and the new empress ascends, would you come with me to Yunzhou? There are vast grasslands and clear streams in Yunzhou. If you come with me, we could find a place away from everyone, just the two of us. Like when we were young, I would follow you every day, and if anyone bullied you, I’d fight them.”


Listening to his words, I imagined such a life. It was as if, when we were younger, he had followed me around, repeatedly asking me to come with him to Yunzhou.


At that time, I thought there was no place better than the capital city of Chu, so I repeatedly declined his offer.


But at this moment, the idea of living such a peaceful life seemed very appealing.


So I closed my eyes and nodded, saying, “Okay.”


Shaotang's voice abruptly stopped, and his breathing grew rapid. After a while, he cautiously asked, “Shu Cheng, may I kiss you?”


I didn’t respond, and he shifted slightly, cradling my face as if in a sacred act, and gently pressed his lips to mine.


His kiss was so tender and restrained, in stark contrast to Shen Ye. 


When our lips touched, I heard his soft sobbing, and then I felt tears fall. 


Suddenly, a servant burst in, saying, “Young Master, Mr. Su sent word that—”


“What did he say?” I quickly pulled away from Shaotang. The servant was one of my trusted aides, whom I had instructed to come to me at any time. Shaotang’s face darkened as he sat silently. The servant swallowed nervously and finally said, “He said if you want to die, stay here…”


The tone was unmistakably Shen Ye’s.


Hearing this, I couldn’t help but scowl. 


I wasn’t sure if Shen Ye knew what I was doing, so I said curtly, “Got it.”


With that, I stood up. Shaotang didn’t speak. I thought for a moment and then took his hand gently, saying, “I’ll take care of you.”


“Mm.” Shaotang nodded. “I’ve waited for many years; I don’t mind waiting a little longer.”


I nodded and left in a rush toward my courtyard. As soon as I entered, I saw Shen Ye sitting in the rocking chair in my room, staring blankly at the portrait hanging on the wall. There was food on the table, and Shen Cong, sensing the tension, quietly left and closed the door behind him. 


Once it was just the two of us, I couldn’t hold back my anger and demanded, “What are you doing here?”


He didn’t speak, looking fatigued, with an expression of confusion and something I couldn’t quite decipher, as if he was reproaching himself.


Seeing him like this, my anger quickly faded. I walked over to the dining table and said irritably, “Let’s eat.”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

He didn’t respond. After a long pause, he asked, “What did you and Shaotang do this afternoon in your room?”


“Nothing,” I replied, feeling guilty.


“Are you still lying to me?” he snapped. I looked up in shock. “Are you spying on me?”


“Yes,” he said directly, meeting my gaze, “I placed my best spies around you with only one purpose: to monitor whether you and Shaotang have crossed any boundaries!”


“You!” My anger flared, and for the first time in my life, I was so furious that I threw a bowl at Shen Ye. He slapped it away with ease, smashing it into pieces, and in an instant, he was in front of me, pinning me against the wall by my neck.


“I told you time and again! Why won’t you listen? What’s so great about him? What does he have that I don’t?!” 


“At least he never treats me harshly!” I shouted back. He froze, awkwardly withdrawing his hand and murmured, “I’m sorry…”


I coughed and slid down the wall, feeling like he might have killed me just moments ago.


“He has always protected me,” I coughed out, struggling to speak, “He’s not as handsome as you, not as skilled, not as capable, but Shen Ye, he has never harmed me. When we were young, he protected me; even though he wasn’t very skilled, he would still try to shield me with all his might. As I grew older, he stayed by my side, enduring whatever you did to him for my sake. I only kissed him once… How many times have I done things with you, and he has never opposed me?! He has never even shouted at me, but you?” 


“I’m sorry…” Shen Ye’s voice trembled. “I… I…”


I didn’t respond, just stared at him intensely. “Shaotang’s love is about tolerance, waiting, and patience. What about you? You can’t tolerate rejection; you must have whatever you want. But have you ever considered what the other person wants?”


Shen Ye said nothing, his eyes filled with panic as he looked at me. I slowly stood up, and he couldn't help but take a step back.


"Shen Ye..."


"Don’t say it," he interrupted me, his voice frantic. "I know you like me. I know you love me."


"Shen Ye..."


I closed my eyes, struggling to bring myself to say those cruel words. 


I couldn’t indulge him any longer; it was time to make a clean break. But just as I was about to speak, he suddenly shouted, "Don’t! I know I’m not as tolerant or patient as Shaotang. I can’t control myself. All I know is that loving someone means breaking her limbs," Shen Ye’s lips curved into a pained smile, "That’s because I don’t understand... Shu Cheng," he said, his eyes misting over as he gently placed my hand on his chest, "I don’t understand. Please, teach me..."


I remained silent, staring at him in a daze. After a long moment, I closed my eyes and shook my head.


"Shen Ye, I can’t teach you."


With that, the door slammed open, letting in the howling wind and snow. I opened my eyes to see Shen Ye stumbling out, heading for the storm.


Shen Cong emerged from the side, looking at me with a gaze as cold and predatory as a wolf’s.


Though he was just a teenager, his stare sent a chill down my spine.


"Your elder brother is different from ordinary people," he said slowly, "He is someone who has climbed out from among the dead. He may not understand love as you describe it, but if he likes you, he would give you the world."


At his words, I couldn’t help but curl my lips into a sarcastic smile. Shen Cong also slowly smiled, concluding, “You don’t like him.”


I continued to smile without speaking.


What could a teenager possibly know about liking or not liking?


He gradually relaxed, regaining his usual noble demeanor, and said, “If you don’t like him, then part with him. Don’t delay his future.”


With that, Shen Cong turned and left. I couldn’t help but call out to him, “Shen Cong.”


He paused, his back to me. I asked, “What kind of life do you want Shen Ye to have by protecting him like this?”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

He was silent for a while, then stood with his hands behind his back, looking up. The gale made his robe flutter, and in that moment, I was involuntarily impressed by his imposing aura.


The phrase "Son of the Qilin, a rare talent in the world" suddenly flashed through my mind.


After a moment of silence, he spoke deliberately and with conviction, “To rule the world.”


I gasped. Such rebellious words were spoken so bluntly by this young man!


I had long known that the people around Shen Ye were arrogant, but hearing such words made them hard to accept even for someone like me, who was familiar with their backgrounds. I remembered Shen Ye’s comment that this young man needed more refinement before he could be of use.


Indeed, even with extraordinary talent, such impulsiveness would need to be tempered.


Seeing my reaction, he smiled, and the smile bore some resemblance to Shen Ye’s. He shrugged nonchalantly and said, “I was just joking.”


With that, he quickly left to catch up with Shen Ye.


His words lingered in my mind. I thought about Shen Ye’s actions: a man who could potentially rise to become the Dark Emperor of Great Chu, surrounded by many capable and unusual figures. Since the establishment of Phoenix Tower, every major change in the court had involved Phoenix Tower.


If Shen Ye were to become emperor...


The audacious thought crossed my mind and was strangely difficult to dismiss.


—It didn’t seem impossible.


But he had no one in the court, and even if he did, he had no military power. He wasn’t from a powerful family, which would never support him without reason, and the royal family would never back him either. Even though the Dark Court had some military forces, they were nowhere near the numbers of the families and the royal family.


So where did he get the confidence to scheme for the throne?


I reviewed the faces of the influential figures in the court, and my thoughts halted on my own face.


I suddenly realized.


If Shen Ye harbored intentions of ascending the throne, and if I were willing to support him, it would be an unmatched opportunity.


In this world, who else could match the Young Lord of the Shu family, who had wealth, troops, grain, and land, with minimal collateral branches and no siblings, holding an unassailable position as head of the family?


Moreover, this young lord was kind-hearted and not like the ruthless and power-hungry heads of families such as the Shangguan family. She would be easier to manipulate.


As I thought about this, I felt a chill but also found it somewhat amusing.


Just a few words, and I could think of so much.


But what if it were really like that?


Even if Shen Ye were to betray the Empress for me, even if he did everything for me, as long as I fell in love with him, it would be an extremely advantageous deal.


Danger is always dangerous, and it only grows more so.


I stood there, staring blankly at the snowflakes beginning to fall outside, my thoughts in turmoil. I realized I needed to consult someone about this issue, so I sent an invitation to the Shangguan family to meet with Shangguan Liulan.


When I arrived, Shangguan Liulan was draped in a robe, playing chess by herself. Without looking up, she asked, “Have you come with troubles?”


“Don’t speak yet. I’ve noticed your complexion has been looking increasingly pale lately. Is that true?”


I handed her robe to her servant and observed her under the candlelight. She did not respond but continued to focus on the chess game, saying, “Do you know that I once had a sister named Shangguan Liuqing?”


“I’ve heard of her. She was quite a figure in Chu capital but suddenly went into seclusion. Why bring her up now?”


“When I was young, I was quite a reckless person. If it hadn’t been for the protection of my father and my status as the legitimate daughter, I would have been torn apart by others long ago. Back then, I was arrogant and always enjoyed playing chess. Though my skills were poor, my sister never won a single game against me.”


“That should have made you happy,” I said as I knelt in front of her. I glanced at the chessboard and, even though I wasn’t an expert, it was clear that Shangguan Liulan’s skills weren't lacking.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

She smiled softly, tossing a chess piece back into the box. “Now that I have improved my skills, I realize that my sister’s chess abilities were so advanced that she could control the game even while losing several moves. Such composure…”


She chuckled quietly. “If the Shangguan family is entrusted to her, I would probably be at ease.”


At her words, I couldn’t help but change my expression. Looking up at her pale face, I asked, “Is there something you’re hiding from me?”


“I’ve been feeling weak lately, and I have this sense that I might die before you,” she said indifferently, picking up the chess pieces one by one. “I’ve helped you so much; it’s only fair you repay me. If Liuqing returns to take over the family head position, there might be many disturbances. I’m counting on you to look after things then.”


I said nothing, focusing intently on her. The chess pieces were collected one by one, leaving the board empty. After a while, she made her move and said indifferently, “You came to me with something you’re struggling with, didn’t you?”


“I don’t know how to begin,” I said, suppressing my emotions and making a move.


“It’s Shen Ye, isn’t it?” she said casually. “You’ve suddenly realized that if you fall for him, it’s an incredibly advantageous deal for him. Such a deal is worth enduring and disguising oneself to the utmost.”


I remained silent, playing along with her and listening to her words.


Her chess skills were lacking, but her style was aggressive, attacking from the start. She continued indifferently, “Shu Cheng, are you willing to take that gamble?”


“I can’t afford it,” I answered directly. “Like you, I have family responsibilities. I can’t afford to lose or gamble.”


“If you don’t have the stakes, you naturally don’t have the right to be at the table. The thrill of gambling is indeed tempting, but if you don’t have the qualifications, then you simply don’t have them.”


“Liulan,” I said as I gradually cornered her pieces on the board, “I thought you would advise me to stay with Shen Ye.”


“Shangguan Liulan might, because she has lost a lover. But the head of the Shangguan family won’t. Moreover…” She hesitated for a moment before saying slowly, “I’ve had a few encounters with Shen Ye when I was younger. This person…”


She pressed her lips into a straight line. “His schemes are too deep; keeping him around is ultimately a disaster.”


I was silent, feeling a clarity in my thoughts. After completely cornering her pieces on the board, I began to pick them up one by one.


“Liulan, have I ever told you that I actually admire you?”


“Hmm.” She watched me collect so many chess pieces, her expression darkening. I smiled softly and said, “We’re about the same age, but you’ve already managed the Shangguan family with grace, handling matters with discretion and never forgetting your true intentions. You act decisively. As for me,” I shook my head, “I’m just a woman, feeling completely lost.”


She said nothing, but her eyes suddenly lit up as she placed a piece on the board, instantly capturing a large section of my pieces. I couldn’t help but stiffen. With a hint of a smile, she said, “Shu Cheng, actually, you and I are quite similar. Neither of us is significantly better than the other. I’m not indifferent; it’s just that the person I care about is too far from me. Liuqing is with him,” she said with a bitter smile. “When I was still a troublemaker, I never schemed against anyone. The first time I tried to bring down an enemy, it was just to clip that person’s wings and deliver them to him.”

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates