32 Ye Cheng Fu

 FlamingoBees 

Translating Chinese Historical Dramas for your enjoyment... and mine! :)


Home    :    Novels

Ye Cheng Fu


 Chapter 32: 

 

He moved closer and closer. Perhaps because his face was so clean, I felt no resistance, but neither did I have any intention to encourage him. There was none of the heart-pounding sensation I felt when I was near Shen Ye. Instead, I just watched as he drew nearer, our breaths intertwining.


We were so close that only a thin piece of paper seemed to separate us. Just as he was about to touch my lips, I suddenly heard a loud crash, followed by a piece of wood striking my head with a clang. Everything went dark, and I heard Shen Ye's angry voice: "Get Shu Cheng out of here!"


As soon as the words were spoken, I felt someone pull on my arm. When I came to my senses, I found myself being lifted by Shen Ye. He looked at me with an inscrutable expression, then shot a fierce glance at Ming Chen, who was quietly kneeling on the floor. Shen Ye glanced at me, then at the door, which had been smashed to pieces. I gathered my courage and, with a trembling voice, said, "It was... it was me... forcing him..."

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

Shen Ye ignored me. He scanned the room coldly and then roared, "What are you all staring at! Get out of here now!"


Shen Ye, having climbed out of a pile of corpses and with blood on his hands, exuded a killing intent with his words. The officials present were all scholars, and seeing his forceful kick on the door, they left without hesitation, showing no regard for their noble status. Those who were more perceptive quickly realized that this was a personal matter of mine and followed Shangguan Liulan and Qin Yang. As Qin Yang left, she thought for a moment, then silently pulled Ming Chen, who was still kneeling, out with her.


When everyone had left, Shen Ye finally turned his cold gaze back to me.


"Shu Cheng," his voice carried an ominous chill, "you really have some nerve!"


I was too frightened to speak and found myself suddenly resenting Shangguan Wan'er.


All this talk about not being lenient, not considering the other person's feelings… Shangguan Wan'er, I finally understand why I needed to care for Shen Ye's emotions.


It wasn't for him; it was for my own safety!


I struggled to meet his gaze, but I was terrified. He stared at me coldly for a long time, and finally, he closed his eyes and sighed. "Shu Cheng, why do you always make me worry?"


He pulled me closer, gently tracing my lips with his fingers, and said softly, "Even if you don’t care about yourself, you need to think of others. I wouldn’t mind killing a few people for you, but…”


"You..." I suddenly understood what he meant. I looked up sharply, and he immediately pressed his finger to my lips, continuing, "I don't want to discuss this with you, but if this continues, you might become even more reckless."


"What do you mean?"


"From now on, spend more time at the Jingxin Pavilion. If you don’t go there, just stay in your own room. I don't care about the affairs of the Shu family," he said with a smile, gently lowering his lips to kiss my hand, and continued, "I only care about you. Stop testing my limits. I have none."


I remained silent, staring at him coldly. He smiled brightly and added, "Don’t be so wary of me. Aside from this matter, you are my wife, and as my wife, you are my master."


"How dare I?" I scoffed. "If I were your master, what would that make Her Majesty?"

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

He smiled without replying, his eyes inscrutable. He then turned and took my hand, saying, "Let's go home."


His hand was dry and warm, quite different from Ming Chen's. Despite my inner turmoil, I didn't refuse and walked with him. As we were leaving, I happened to run into Qin Yang. Her face was pale, but her eyes lit up when she saw Shen Ye. Her expression made me uncomfortable, and I instinctively stepped forward to shield Shen Ye. Shen Ye didn’t seem to notice; he looked back at me, then at Qin Yang, and stopped in his tracks.


Seeing him so unperturbed by Qin Yang's reaction only made me more irritated, though I couldn't pinpoint why. I watched him, feeling frustrated, as he stood there, hesitating to say something to Qin Yang. After a moment, he shook his head at her and led me into the carriage.


As soon as I got into the carriage, I felt a surge of anger rising in me. However, before I could voice it, I realized I had no real reason to be angry. I had clearly stated that I was giving him up, so I shouldn’t be holding on to him now. Thus, the words I had intended to say were swallowed back. I leaned heavily against the carriage wall, closing my eyes, and chose to remain silent.


Shen Ye sat beside me, gently stroking the back of my hand. In a low voice, he said, "Shu Cheng, everything in the world changes. Love changes, hatred changes. What matters is not the beginning but the ending. I..."


His voice trailed off abruptly. I kept my eyes closed, not responding to him. After a long while, his voice grew hoarse, but he continued, "Actually, I can’t wait, but I still have to."


I wanted to probe the meaning behind his words but didn’t want to speak. I felt that Wanqing was right; once a decision is made, it should be decisive, not vacillating. I ignored him throughout the journey. When we arrived home, I jumped out of the carriage and went straight to the Ninglan Pavilion. He followed me, and when we reached the entrance, I turned to stop him, saying, “You can go back now. I don’t need you to see me in.”


He looked up at the door of Ninglan Pavilion and didn’t get angry. Instead, he gazed at me with affection, smiling, “You’re being mischievous!”


With that, he turned and walked away. His easy departure made me feel uneasy.


I entered the Ninglan Pavilion, where Bai Shaotang was practicing with a spear. The silver spear, like a dragon, pointed directly at me as I opened the door, startling me into taking a step back. Bai Shaotang then burst into laughter.


“Here you are!” Bai Shaotang tossed his spear aside and, with a touch of pride, said, “I knew you’d come today, so I had a lot of your favorite pastries prepared. Come on, let me show you.”


He pulled me towards the table, where servants began serving various pastries. Despite the lingering scent of rouge and alcohol on me, Bai Shaotang showed no sign of discomfort. I tilted my head slightly and asked, “Shaotang, aren’t you angry?”


He led me to the table and casually said, “Shu Cheng, do you know why I always won on the border?”


He picked up a piece of osmanthus cake and held it to my mouth. I mechanically took a bite, and he continued, “Because I have the most patience. I can wait.”


He can wait, but Shen Ye cannot.


In one day, both men had told me about “waiting,” which clarified many things for me. “So, are you waiting for Shen Ye to leave?”


“I’m waiting until I’m the only one left by your side,” he said with a narrowed smile. Though he spoke of something that would shame most people, he spoke with a sense of pride. “Su Rongqing—oh no, Shen Ye—might be more handsome than me, better in martial arts, more capable, and hold a higher rank and power. But so what? He can’t kill me right now, and as long as I live longer than him, that’s enough.”


“Shu Cheng, have I ever told you the story of my father? Actually, he wasn’t my mother’s first husband. Her first husband was someone she grew up with, someone with whom she shared over a decade of life-and-death friendship. Later, this man died on the battlefield while saving my mother. If such feelings were on you, could you forget them? Could you accept someone else?”


“No!” I answered firmly.


He gave me a look that seemed to say, “See, you’re just naïve,” and continued, “Yes, that’s how everyone thinks. My father was also a noble heir with a promising future. When he wanted to marry my mother, no one thought well of the match. But my father gathered his courage and married her. After marrying, he stayed by her side. Everything that man could do, my father could do; and the things that man couldn’t do, my father did too. Decades have passed, and while my mother still remembers that man, she no longer loves him. Shu Cheng, don’t put too much weight on loving someone.” He smiled and added, “In this world, there’s no emotion that can withstand the ravages of time.”


He paused for a moment before raising an eyebrow and said, “At least, I’d have to wait until you’re dead before I could give up. As long as you’re alive and well, I’m not fighting for anything, so why not wait for you?”


“What if Shen Ye stays alive forever…”


He didn’t respond. Instead, he dipped a green bean cake into the puerh tea and took a bite, showing a satisfied expression. He avoided answering my question and said, “Shu Cheng, let’s go to sleep.”


His evasion made me uneasy. As he walked towards the bed, I quickly followed and asked, “Why won’t you answer my question?”


“Shu Cheng,” he said, his back to me, his voice tinged with some bitterness, “It’s obvious that you like Shen Ye.”


I didn’t dare to respond, and he didn’t press me further. Instead, he continued, “Actually, anyone can see that you have feelings for him. I’m not saying it to make you sad.”


“What if I insist on making you answer?” I said coldly.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

He didn't speak for a long time. Finally, he said, "Since the beginning of the dynasty, no emperor of Da Chu has ever lived past thirty."


His words struck me like a thunderclap, and I couldn’t help but grasp his wrist tightly. I wanted to ask more, but his face was filled with pain. I hesitated as his face turned pale, and he forced a smile, saying, “Shu Cheng, let’s sleep, shall we?”


“Alright…” I said, slowly releasing his hand.


Bai Shaotang removed his outer garment, and I noticed his hands trembling. Feeling a pang of sympathy, I said, “I’m sorry.”


He didn’t respond, lying down on the bed. After some thought, I had the attendants extinguish the lamps and removed my own clothes, lying down beside him. We lay side by side, and he looked at my face in the darkness. I allowed him to gaze at me.


Understanding what he might be thinking, I spoke gently, “Shaotang, aside from family, you are the person who has been the best to me in my life.”


As I spoke, I reached out to trace his brows and eyes, noticing how handsome he was. If not for Shen Ye, such a face might have amazed me.


But with him, I already have Shen Ye.


So, as I traced his features, my heart remained calm. Despite the gratitude and guilt I felt towards the person who had protected me in youth and accompanied me in hardship, I couldn’t offer him love. Yet, for this moment, I couldn’t help but believe his words.


“I will stay with you, watch over you, cherish you, and not let anyone bully you. Shaotang, I will slowly come to love you.”


He didn’t respond, but I could see a glimmer of tears in his eyes, like a child. I smiled gently, resting my forehead against his, and said softly, “Wait a little longer, until that day, alright?”


“Alright,” he said hoarsely, nodding vigorously.


We spent the night like that, and the next morning at court, a maid sent by my father was thrilled, her eyes brimming with the joy of “soon-to-be little masters.” I couldn’t help but twitch my lips.


In the following days, I stayed at Bai Shaotang's residence and didn’t visit Jingxin Water Pavilion even once. Shen Ye didn’t say anything, his silence making me feel somewhat uneasy. I couldn’t help but send someone to find out what Shen Ye was doing. The servant returned with the report: “Young Master Su spends his days eating, drinking tea, writing, and occasionally sending people out to buy things.”


“There’s no need for extra purchases,” I said, worried that Shen Ye might cause more trouble. “If something is missing, provide it from the manor. Avoid anything too extravagant; only basic supplies are needed. If the manor doesn’t have something, follow the manor’s procurement process strictly, no exceptions.”


The servants responded accordingly. However, I later thought that if Shen Ye didn’t intend to follow my rules, there wasn’t much I could do about it.


Two months passed, and Bai Shaotang had almost completely taken over the internal affairs of the Shu residence. During this time, Shen Ye had been very quiet. Without Shen Ye’s interference, Bai Shaotang had thoroughly cleaned up the accounts and reorganized everything from top to bottom. My mother was very pleased with him, and my father, recognizing Shaotang’s talents, had grown closer to him.


Shen Ye’s nature was always aloof. My mother didn’t like him, and after hearing that he had walked out during my father’s reprimand on the day of the marriage, my father was quite angry. Consequently, Shen Ye had little interaction with the family and spent his days in his own water pavilion, ignoring everyone.


Thus, it became clear that Bai Shaotang was the true master of the Shu residence, while Shen Ye was merely someone who had entered the house by imperial decree.


Although this was true, I couldn’t shake a feeling that something was off. But I didn’t dwell on it and went on with my days in a daze.


I had a sense that Shen Ye wouldn’t just give up and was waiting for the right moment. That moment finally came with the first heavy snowfall of the year in Great Chu.


On that day, apart from the snow, everything seemed ordinary. I went to court as usual. During the morning assembly, Minister Chen He from the Ministry of War appeared pale and unsteady, which made everyone uneasy. I exchanged worried glances with Shangguan Liulan, who also looked concerned. We expected the Empress to make some move, but throughout the assembly, Her Majesty remained silent. Curiously, the more serene the Empress appeared, the worse Chen He’s expression became.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

After the assembly, Shangguan Liulan walked over to me and asked, “Shall we return together?”


“Let’s return together,” I replied.


I suppressed my emotions and tried to stay composed, but out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Chen He heading directly toward the emperor’s study.


Not long after we left the main hall, Shangguan Liulan said, “I didn’t notice anything until this morning when I saw Chen He’s expression. It seemed unusual.”


“Chen He has been in the position of Minister for almost ten years, hasn’t she?” I recalled and asked, “Isn’t she from the Bai family?”


“She is related to Bai Shaotang’s maternal family.”


“Such a close relative?” I was surprised, not having known this connection.


Shangguan Liulan explained with a calm demeanor, “She’s a child of a Bai family’s illegitimate branch, but was favored by Bai Shaotang’s grandmother. Before she passed away, she specifically instructed the Bai family head to look after her. Chen He came from a humble merchant background. Without the Bai family’s influence, she wouldn’t have achieved her current position.”


“How do you know all this?” I couldn’t help but regard her with new respect.


Shangguan Liulan didn’t seem particularly pleased by my praise, merely responding, “Every family has its own sources of information. When you become the head of the family, your mother will pass on these details to you.” She added with a half-smile, “Your family’s network is far more extensive than ours. I recently removed a couple of informants from your household. Do you want me to send them to you for you to deal with?”


At her words, I felt a chill and quickly replied, “That has nothing to do with me! Don’t get me involved.”


“I’m just offering,” she said, turning her gaze back toward the emperor’s study, her tone indifferent, “I have them in your household as well. It’s no big deal.”


“Can we still be friends?” 


As we chatted aimlessly, we were about to reach the palace gate when suddenly a palace servant rushed past us and bumped into Shangguan Liulan. The servant quickly knelt to apologize, and Shangguan Liulan, not pressing the matter, allowed him to leave.


As we walked out of the palace gate, Shangguan Liulan suddenly pulled out a note. After a moment, she frowned and said, “Chen He is dead. She collided with the door of the Empress' study and died on the spot.”


The news left me speechless. After a moment, I suddenly remembered and asked again, “Chen He’s superior is Bai Shaotang’s maternal aunt, you said?”


“Yes,” Shangguan Liulan said, somewhat puzzled by my sudden question.


I didn’t have time to explain and quickly said, “I need to return now. We’ll talk later.”


With that, I hurried to my carriage and instructed my servants to urgently send a visit request to the Minister of the Military Affairs' residence. After giving the orders, I rushed back.

© translations belonging to  flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com. If you read this somewhere else instead of flamingobeestranslations.blogspot.com then the translations has been posted WITHOUT permission of translator.

•••



Prev  :  TOC :  Next


https://ko-fi.com/flamingobeestranslations

https://twitter.com/FlamingoBee2009

Thank You For Reading <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel List + Chapter Updates